Why only one channel? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2004, 05:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Why only one channel?

Hello,

Using a serial audio source (i2s, I believe, but could be wrong) connected to a DIT4096 with a 12.2880MHz clock (256*Fs, which is 48kHz) which is connected to an S/PDIF transmitter to my DAC. When I turn on the source (nintendo gamecube) I only get one channel (left) and the other one (right) is silent. What is the reason fore this? Is it because I have a bad LRCLK? Is the source really mono? Is it because the source is left or right justified instead of i2s? Should the LRCLK be inverted?

Thanks.
Old 23rd September 2004, 09:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If the signal set you wish to connect to the DIT4096 is the same as that shown in your post about the TC9231N then it is not I2S. Set the DIT4096 to Left Justified and the LRCLK and SCLK polarities accordingly and it will work.
Old 28th September 2004, 07:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

rfbrw,

Thanks for your help. I gave it a try, and I still got one channel. Inverting the LRCLK just make the right channel come out of the left speaker. Not only did I change the FMT pins to Left Justified, but I changed the CLK pins to 256*Fs insatead of 384*Fs. Even changing that never made it output stereo, but I got audio with eaither clock selection when my crystal was really 256*Fs. The SCLK never needed any inversion. The DIT4096 schematic I used was:
Click the image to open in full size.
There is some errata, pin 7 is not CLK0, but Vio. Pin 7 should be high. In this schematic, CLK0 and CLK1 are configured for 384*Fs, and FMT0 and FMT1 are configured for i2s. I changed these to Left Justified and 256*Fs. A quick link to the datasheet is here. If you see anything out of wack, please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 29th September 2004, 02:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

What is the actual source and are you sure it is stereo?
Old 29th September 2004, 04:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

rfbrw,

The actual source is the Nintendo Gamecube. I know it's stereo because I built the circuit using the TC9231N. Infact I just finished it today. It worked perfectly. I got the obselete TC9231N from parts.pioneerelectronics.com which sells it for $43. It's quite expensive just for one IC, but the part is obselete. It worked with stereo audio, no noise or glitches. The circuit worked fine. Here is a pic of the schematic:
I was quite amazed at how well the circuit worked. The waveforms that go into the TC9231N are:
You said it was Left justified which it looks to be. I knew I thought right. With the schematic in my pervious post, I changed the configuration to 256*Fs and Left Justified, but I still don't get stereo audio. I've looked up and down the datasheet and could not find anything. When I invert the LRCLK, I get the right channel out of the left speaker. (It could be the other way around, I forget how my DAC is wired as it is still on my workbench) This really stumps me because I had the same DIT4096 PCB working with the serial audio output of an XM radio with stereo audio, working perfectly. I must be missing something.
Old 29th September 2004, 06:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'd go with this setting.

/AUDIO = 0
BLS = 0
BLSM = 0
CLK0 = 1
CLK1 = 0
COPY = 1
CSS = 0
/EMPH = 0
FMT0 = 0
FMT1 = 0
L = 1
MDAT = 0
MODE = 1
MONO = 0
M/S = 0
U = 0
V = 0

As the DIT4096 does not explicitly define the Audio formats for the hardware mode I'd used the definition for left justified given in the DIR1701 datasheet.That means only LRCK needs to be inverted.
Old 1st October 2004, 06:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes.

Hide this!Advertise here!