My tda1543 based dac (as if there where not enough of them around ;o)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well, here it is folks.

/ Mikael

Attachments

• dac.jpg
    dac.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 845
hmm

CLC input filter and LM317 pre regs

Scientific conversion input transformer, Mcap Supremes on the output. the rest of the parts are and the parts are Holco/Rikens/cerafines/nichicon muse.

Pass transistors with TL431 regulators on the cs reciever and reclocking circuits On the Tda i have a version of Elso Kwak:s old regulator but with a reference witch gives it about 8V

The reclocking is done with a 74vhc4040 and a Tent oscillator I am aware of the weakness with this approach and someday soon I will get around to measure the jitter but it do work and resonable well at that.

/ Mikael

hifi said:
hmm

CLC input filter and LM317 pre regs

Scientific conversion input transformer, Mcap Supremes on the output. the rest of the parts are and the parts are Holco/Rikens/cerafines/nichicon muse.

Pass transistors with TL431 regulators on the cs reciever and reclocking circuits On the Tda i have a version of Elso Kwak:s old regulator but with a reference witch gives it about 8V

The reclocking is done with a 74vhc4040 and a Tent oscillator I am aware of the weakness with this approach and someday soon I will get around to measure the jitter but it do work and resonable well at that.

/ Mikael

Hi,
any ideas how MCap's are working in here- did You made any substitutions to determine if they are good in Your dac.
I am asking this because I have a problem- I must put some GOOD caps (like maybe mcap's) but they are expensive for me to make a mistake if they don't work in there good enough- I have tried BG's (not good enough), some very old aluminium PiO's (to sharp), some polyprop's (well some might work but which one); finally I have settled on Wondercap Ultima with Danor (very old units also but they work very good---- unfortunatelly I cant buy them new so I must find something to put in it - I can buy Mcap's in my country but they cost :eek: . Also I am thinking about some MIT Multicaps RTX or PPsomething (PPFXS I think)......
Opinions.........:cannotbe: please

btw; dac looks very nice _suggestion; separate your dac from the power supply - or at least put some copper plates on Your CSxxxx/TDAxxxx chips.

best regards
daniel

Hifi- to bad- well, a friend gave me some normal polyprop's from MCap- will try them (he said that they are a little soft but good). Also, if I like them than I would convert to Z foil (to my knowledge a little more detailed and opened when compared to normal MCap). The supreme's are a little bit sharp (to my knowledge).

I didn't try them so I have said that only what I know from my friend - he tried them all but can't give me none except those normal- so I guess that I would discover that for myself... :D

Didn't tried Oscons at the output but in my analog power supply they didn't work nice (oscon SH)- I use them in digital part of the dac.... O.k. - maybe they would work at the output

thanks for the informations
best regards
daniel:smash:

Re: Re: Better DACs

rfbrw said:

I fear that in your case Mr K. any suggestions that fall outside very narrow parameters would be pointless but heres to tilting at windmills. AD1862,PCM56,63,1702/4.

I fear that Mr. K is not the only one prefering that little chip. More than a year ago, I expressed my preferences: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=201971#post201971

Recently, my little p2p DAC prototype has been preliminary evaluated by a certain reviewer and he also preferred it to the Shanling DAC stage, which I believe is PCM1704.

It is indeed correct that Messrs D and K are not alone but as a piece of graffiti that was popular when I was at college said "A million lemmings can't be wrong".
I can see the appeal of the TDA154x chips in general and the TDA1543 in particular. They are the digital audio equivalent of Lego. So long as one is unambitious in execution, e.g. no TDA1541's in simultaneous mode or logically correct balanced implementations and definitely no recent digital filters or ASRCs, it is almost impossible for a TDA154x design not to work. Dacs like the PCM63 or the AD1862 on the other hand require somewhat more of an effort to implement especially if one omits the digital filter. One is tempted to liken the better but more difficult to implement dacs and configurations to the grapes in Aesops fable.
Still, in the remote chance the lemmings are on to something, I may yet go in search of a Green Eggs and Ham moment and build a 'proper' TDA1543 dac.

Re: Re: Better DACs

rfbrw said:

I fear that in your case Mr K. any suggestions that fall outside very narrow parameters would be pointless but heres to tilting at windmills. AD1862,PCM56,63,1702/4.

Thanks,
I did try the PCM56 a long time ago (NON-OS) in my Sony. I found the bass very good but the highs bad. The AD1851 had better highs but weaker bass. The AD1865N-K was better than both.
I know the PCM63 from the Tribute DAC by Pieter Treurniet and some Theta model of a friend of mine. Sounded very similar to the AD1864 with digital filter.
The AD1862 and the PCM1702 are still in my shoebox to try.........
If I find the energy building a PCB for these. I have been tilting at windmills all my life..........Hence....
Jocko seems to be fond of the AD1862.
:rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.