new supply for the transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi-

After miserably failing to mechanically isolate my Plextor CD-ROM drive, which I mainly use for extracting the WAV files from CDs, I decided to go with an external unit from the same company. These guys sell a very nice externeal version of their famous CD drive, which weighs almost 5 pounds. (a lot havier then anything else I have seen). I should get it in within a few days now, and have already started to design a very hefty case, which will probably end up around 50 punds or so. Another thing I am seriously considering is building my own USB cable, based on the spec I downloaded from the USB website, using all siver/teflon conductors and several braided copper shields.

There is one obvious thing left: The standard power supply. This thing just begs to be rebuilt. If I remember correctly, it supplies 12 volts DC, and probalby very low load, but I am not sure about that one... So, all you digital experts out there, should I build my own? Will it be a waiste of time? If I should, what topology should I use? Can I use something like lm338 for regulation?
Thank you for your help!!!

I've got the device in the other day, and I am very impressed! This is defenantly the most expensive PC-based CD drive on the market, but from the first impression, it is worth every penny! It is built like a tank, and weighs in at over 2.2 kilograms (about 5 pounds). It is encased in an alluminum enclosure. Preveously I had a chance to dissasemble the internal version of this drive, and the quality of the guts is also very good. The optics look great - no plastics or cheap glass here! What got me interested in this brand to begin with, was using the Exact Audio Copy sofware, where the author admits that all the error reporting functionality works best with the Plextor brand. He also says that these are the best PC drives. When I installed the Plextor sofware, I can see the connection! These guys have implemented a verstion of EAC inside the Plextor ProTools suit. They did not even bother to change the interface. I don't think this is a bad thing. I actually like for the hardware and sofware developers to work together this way... I have to say that the stand alone EAC is better and less buggy then the verstion in Plex software. On the other hand, the Plex software offers a huge range of test to determine the CD quality along with a million other factors. One thing I do not like so far, is the inability to slow down the drive to x1 speed for ripping. It insits at doing it atleast x4.....

Still, the supply question lingers. The included supply looks ok, and says to be "triple-insulated". It delivers a single voltage of 12 V at 3 amps max. But I am still not sure if the device will benefit from a custom supply, perhaps based on an lm338 regulator, or even something descreet... Please advise, should I look into building a supply, or just leave the thing as is?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.