Taking digital for Toslink, how? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2004, 03:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to lumanauw
Default Taking digital for Toslink, how?

I've got a problem. A friend of mine bought a DAC that needed Toslink (optical) feed. It doesnt have Coaxial (RCA) digital input.
More problem. His CD player doesnt have digital out at all.
But I feel that this digital output can be taken from one point inside his CD player. I've looked people installing VCD card (Mpeg) inside ordinary CD player so it can play VCD. I think this is the same pin for getting digital output for my friend's DAC.

1. At what pin (what IC) should I take the digital output for feeding outside DAC?
2. How to make optical toslink? Anyone has sch for it?
3. Does this need a buffer or small amp for buffering digital inside the CD player and the Toslink cct?
Old 16th September 2004, 04:22 PM   #2
OliverD is offline OliverD  Germany
diyAudio Member

This shouldn't be a problem at all.

But we need more information. What chipset is your friend's CD player using? Open it up and have a look. At least tell us make and model.
Old 17th September 2004, 01:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to lumanauw
Hi OliverD,

Do you mean the code of the IC's inside the CD player? I will open the case and take a look inside the CD player. (My friend is in out of town right now. As soon as he comes back I will tell the data needed)

It is not a single CD player. It is a "combo", one unit has Audio CD player, Radio tuner, and small power amp. All the controls (volume, source, balance, treble) are digital, so I think there will be IC's for controlling these besides IC's that makes the audio.
What IC should I look at? Is it the DAC IC that you need to know the make and model?

Hide this!Advertise here!