PC to AV/reciever

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, im not sure if this belongs in this forum, but its too late now!!

So anyway...

I have a new Hometheatre Pc, which I want to connect to my Harman/kardon AVR130 amp/reciever. Now my motherboard offers inbuilt sound (which I am told is absolutly terrible) but also offers a digial coaxial output. I am also going to purchase a soundblaster Audigy 2, in a few months, which is apparently THX certified and offers 24-bit/96kHz decoding. So, how should I connect my amp? If I connect it through the digital coax, does that mean that my motherboard wont touch/process the sound signal and pass it straight to my amp from a cd/dvd? or will it try to process and degrade the signal?
If this is the case, should I bother with the Audigy card? If i do get it, are there adapters to change a mini headfone jack to rca? and if so, will it degrade will it degrade the signal?

Thanks for your time - I know I have asked a lot here, but im a bit slow, so bear with me!

Thanks again
John dory

johndory said:
Hi everyone, im not sure if this belongs in this forum, but its too late now!!

So anyway...

I have a new Hometheatre Pc, which I want to connect to my Harman/kardon AVR130 amp/reciever. Now my motherboard offers inbuilt sound (which I am told is absolutly terrible) but also offers a digial coaxial output. I am also going to purchase a soundblaster Audigy 2, in a few months, which is apparently THX certified and offers 24-bit/96kHz decoding. So, how should I connect my amp? If I connect it through the digital coax, does that mean that my motherboard wont touch/process the sound signal and pass it straight to my amp from a cd/dvd? or will it try to process and degrade the signal?
If this is the case, should I bother with the Audigy card? If i do get it, are there adapters to change a mini headfone jack to rca? and if so, will it degrade will it degrade the signal?

Thanks for your time - I know I have asked a lot here, but im a bit slow, so bear with me!

Thanks again
John dory

um doesnt your av130 have digital or optical in ? why ot buy a sound card with digital/ optical out then go from there ? i would. : O )

OK, My motherboard is a ASUS P4P800-e. The thing I was most interested in was if I connect my reciever to the motherboard, will that mean that all decoding and sound processing will be done by the reciever? All the motherboard is doing is passing on the signal? is this right?

Yes, my reciever has optical imput, but isnt that the same as the coax digital on the motherboard? Wouldnt the soundcard just be passing on the raw undecoded signal to the reciever from the cd/dvd?

And as for connecting to the the audigy by SPDIF, how will I do that? where will it connect to the reciever? I had a look at the jacks for the audigy, and none look like they would connect to my reciever.

Thanks john Dory

your reciever probably has a Toslink input, a SPDIF output from the audigy will need to be converted to Toslink, it's quite easy actually...nothing more than a simple driver to drive a toslink module that's essentially a red LED inside. Since your motherboard has got a digital out, why dun u try it out before deciding on anything?

johndory said:

Yes, my reciever has optical imput, but isnt that the same as the coax digital on the motherboard? Wouldnt the soundcard just be passing on the raw undecoded signal to the reciever from the cd/dvd?

Thanks john Dory

Then go buy a optical cable or the rca one for the digital.. they both do the same thing. I used optical and well it's a little quieter but way cleaner..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.