Making mods to a Sony CDP-302

This may be asking for the moon, but what could I do to this old timer to perhaps make it a little better than it is. I have taken a pic of the inside if that helps. I'm fairly adept at modding analog stuff, but digital is unfamiliar territory for me. I might be beating a dead horse, but it just seems so well built compared to todays offerings I can't help but to try.

BTW: It works right now. I'm just looking for any tweaks/improvements I could make.

Thanks for any tips.

*Note: Picture is fairly large.
Sony CDP-302 internal pic.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The DAC part of this one is so old that modding to a good sounding device will be a tough excercise. Electronically it is retarded and making that aspect better will be like building a new cdplayer.

Just changing opamps, caps etc. does not make much sense as this one has a switching DAC ( 1 DAC for both channels ) which guarantees bad soundquality. I don't have a schematic so I might be wrong.

Better invest time and money in a model that has the potential to be a great cdplayer. If you insist on modding this one you can swap the opamps for better ones and replace all electrolytic caps as they are worn out at that age. It probably will still sound mediocre after the mods though.

Hi, just got this cdp-302.
The issue is is playes for 20 seconds, then resets, or sometimes stops and spits on the cd tray.
I read these possible causes ?

- Micro switch issue - may need cleaning
- rails and gears need cleaning and relubing
- deoxit and clean all contact switches in the transport
- recap ?
- loading tray belts ?
- alignment
- readjusting the focus and tracking of pick-up assembly ?

some pics of unit... looks hardly played !

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The main defect of the early CD player are the 11uS time difference between left and right channel, and this cd have this defect. However, I've never found any "audiophile" complaining about it.

Beside the 11uS "defect", I'd think to replace relays, no thing, absoluty nothing else.