CDM2/10 Behaving Badly - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2009, 04:51 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the advice will now go check manual.
Bye the way have you seen these Stan Curtis of Cambridge Audio fame is selling these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...0%3D%26fvi%3D1 I have read that you are a TDA1541A fan
Old 10th February 2009, 04:57 PM   #62
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

That's funny. I have several 1998 TDA1541A for sale myself ! They go for less than those as well.

Not wanting to promote just my own chips as the best on this planet but I have my doubts with this claim: "They were individually measured and selected and are probably far superior to the "Crown" version and possibly the best you can get."

Probably.....possibly.....
Old 10th February 2009, 05:29 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

Damn already bought them !
how much are you selling them for ?
I might need an extra x2
Old 10th February 2009, 05:35 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

Not wanting to promote just my own chips as the best on this planet but I have my doubts with this claim: "They were individually measured and selected and are probably far superior to the "Crown" version and possibly the best you can get."

Probably.....possibly.....

I thought the designer of Cambridge Audio CD 1, CD 2, CD 3 the guy must know what he is on about ?
Old 10th February 2009, 05:38 PM   #65

Hi Paul,

There is already a thread open about them so I sent you a PM.

JP
Old 18th May 2009, 11:23 AM   #66
olriley is offline olriley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys.

I have been hot-rodding a Marantz CD65, with a 2/10 and TDA1541 (non A). I've built a discrete tube output stage, new clock, better DAC decoupling caps, non-OS modification, PS regulation and so on. Sounds great. A few nights ago I decided to try and fix the display panel, which had stopped working.

First I disconnected the bus than runs from the main board to the control & display circuits, so I could check the +5V supply voltage at the pins on the main board. When I powered up the player, the drawer shot open and there was a kind of fizzing sound – like something dying. The motor started running at full speed and now it will not stop. Whenever the CDP is powered, the spindle runs… oh dear.

I have obviously killed some part of the control circuit, or the mechanism itself. I wondered had anyone had come across anything like it in their experience? I wonder if I just have to replace some cap, chip or fuse to make it work again? I am a relative necomer to electonics.I can read the schematics for the DAC and so on, no problem, but the controls is a different animal. The last resort I suppose is to buy another CD65 (could be a long wait!) and substitute the mech, control and display circuits into my machine…

Thanks in advance. By the way if anyone needs a service manual for this machine please PM me.

Oliver
Old 18th May 2009, 01:39 PM   #67
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

You didn't put a plug in the wrong place? I've done this before on a Philips player, where both the power and data connectors were the same and I mixed them up. Nine volts straight to the microcontroller, which got very hot very quick, then very non-functional. Luckily I had a spare.
Old 29th May 2009, 09:41 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

Well I couldn't pass up on a Marantz CD75 for £15, which is a very close cousin of my CD65 but with a slightly differenct chipset and remote. It's got the TDA1541 and CDM2/10 inside, which is what matters.

In order to try and fix my CD65, I first substituted the CDM2/10 - the whole thing, including drawer and all circuitry, very easy in fact - from the CD75, which was working flawlessly. But in the CD65 I get the same thing - just spins up to max speed as soon as power is on. So, I then put in the front panel from the CD75, containing the control and display circuits. Everything powers up fine, but just exectly the same problem with the mech.

So it must be a fault on the main board of the CD65, right? Maybe with the uP section? I have had a look around the board for any blown or burned components, but I can't find anything.

Any control/servo experts out there care to help? As a reminder, what I did to break it was power up the CDP with one connector loose. I have circled the connector below, apparently it takes +1, earth, I2D and I2C to/from the control and display circuits. This means very little to me! Of course I have the full service manual and sechematics for this unit if anyone wants to look.

If worse comes to worse, I will just start afresh with the CD75, but it will take me quite a few hours to repeat all the mods I have made to the CD65 (lots!).

Thanks in advance. Oliver

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 29th May 2009, 04:20 PM   #69

Hi, I have a complete CD65 in very good working order for sale.

Send me a PM if you are interested. In fact I have a black CD65 Mk II with CDM 4 and a champagne CD65 with CDM 2. The latter is like new and has been stored for 7 years.
Old 4th June 2009, 12:02 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Thanks JP but seeing as I now have two, I intend to make a servicable unit out of them somehow!

Hide this!Advertise here!