CD player recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would you consider a Pioneer 575 universal (DVD-A, SACD...)?
It's around that price.
It costs 300 Euros here.
Plenty of tweaks to make to put it playin' decently, I don't know if that's your intention.
I have one ordered, but it hasn't been released here yet.
It's not going to substitute my cdp/dac (I wish it could), but it will complement it.

Not to rehash a discussion some months but:

For a bit over $300 you could get a Behringer DEQ2496, drive it with the digital out of your current CD player, and use the Behringer's DACs. I am quite happy with the sound, and you pick up quite a bit of interesting and useful capability with the unit.

I am refering to the DEQ2496, not to be confused with the crossover unit with similar number. The DEQ2496 used to be less than $300 shipped but appears to have crept up to $339 as the US dollar has weakened.

I live pretty close so you could probably arrange to hear it on your system if you want. It would cost you a microbrew or something though. :)

hi,

A Pioneer DV-575A plays:
DVD-A, SACD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, ..... etc., it has a 24-bit/192kHz DAC, built in dolby..., dts..., MP3, WMA, JPEG etc., etc., etc..

I picked one up for CAD $179.

Once you hear DVD-A or SACD you'll never buy an ordinary CD again.

fred p.

The Pioneer 575 does not seem to be available in the US and it's 220v so that's out. Also, it's hard to believe a quality unit with all this capability can be had for so cheap.

There is no current CD player with digital out so the Behringer wouldn't be useful.

I don't want to do any mods at this time so quality has to be built in.

The recommended Denon players are a possibility.

Keep the suggestions coming, please. I appreciate them.

I bought a used SONY CD player, model # CDP-X7ESD for less than $300 from eBay and it works just fine. It even has balanced output. If I'm not mistaken, this model has a MSRP of about $2000 and this unit is over 10 years old (but it works!) and it must weight about 50 pounds. I like to buy electronic toys that are heavy.

ppfred said:
A Pioneer DV-575A plays:
DVD-A, SACD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, ..... etc., it has a 24-bit/192kHz DAC, built in dolby..., dts..., MP3, WMA, JPEG etc., etc., etc..

And divx.:cool:

ppfred said:
Once you hear DVD-A or SACD you'll never buy an ordinary CD again.

But a good cdp will play better than any format on this machine.
Sorry.:xeye:
A common error people make is comparing formats on the same machine.

I'll buy one and make "some" tweaks.:D

You want the best plug and play CD player for $300? Try the Shengya S10 tubed cd player. I just ordered one. It uses the newer Philips VAM 1202 transport with BB 1732 DAC (24 bit, 96 KHz) and 6DJ8s/6922s output tubes. Can be found on the internet for ~300 but shipping will cost you an extra ~100 from China. I next closest thing to this is the Music Hall 25 which is solid state but will cost you 450-500. Feed back from all who have purchased the Shengya is great.

I used this approach also. Strongly recommended. I bought a Sony CDP 779-ES player. Fantastic transport, good sound, built like a tank, can be used as a transport if you want different DAC performance.

And very importantly, should you need one, you can still (!) buy replacement laser mechanisms for machines of this age and performance caliber.

mlloyd1

fcel said:
I bought a used SONY CD player, model # CDP-X7ESD for less than $300 from eBay and it works just fine. It even has balanced output. If I'm not mistaken, this model has a MSRP of about $2000 and this unit is over 10 years old (but it works!) and it must weight about 50 pounds. I like to buy electronic toys that are heavy.

Thank you all for your input.

Eliminating older models that seem hard to find, models only available in Europe and models out of budget and adding recomendations I have gathered elsewhere, this all too short list emerges:

Sony CDP 337
NAD T533
NAD 521bee
NAD 541bee
Vincent CD53
Denon DCD 3000
Any Denon with a model # greater than 370.
Toshiba SD4960 (should I be skeptical?)

I also learned that I could be better off getting a DVD player with multi-format capabilities.

Anyone care to add a unit or present other comments?

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This may not be true of NADs listed, but I remember a few years ago certain Sony's and NADs would not read CDR or CDRW. It's worth checking before you buy.

Example: my older (few years) Sony DVD player (?? model) plays dvds and cds fine, but doesn't recognize CDR even if it's a standard music cdr (it's the medium, not the content that gives it problems).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.