CD46 outputs DC on pause/stop/play/ffwrd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

i just got an old Marantz CD46, and just noticed that when i press next or pause or stop there is a definate cone movement (first back then forward for say a second) and a short crackle between tracks when ffwrding or when pausing.

is this a common problem?

im using a gainclone amp and have paired it with a generic dvd player, yet it doesnt exhibit the same dc/crackle. so im assuming is the marantz?

anyone got any ideas on how to stop this?

On Marantz players I've modded, the mute circuitry cuts in on stop and pause, and the dc blocking caps keep the signal free from dc. If you've not modded your player to remove the dc blocking caps, then the behaviour described seems abnormal.

On one occasion I removed the blocking caps (~30-70mV dc on output) and whenever the player was stopped or paused there was a little click or thump. Disabling the mute fixed this, as the dc on the output then remained constant.

Hi mb
many thanks for your reply

what you say sounds logical, but because the CD-46 is so uncommon? i cant find any schematic info on it. :bawling:

i tried looking at the output stage, which i assume is the 4560D opamp, and there are only 4.7uf caps surrounding it, power supply coupling i assume, the only other caps on the board are 2200uf 3300uf 330uf 220uf and 1000uf but they are all surrounding the LM7805 and the rectifier section from the transformer.

i cant see any other dc blocking caps :(

the CD-46 i have is made in singapore, but apart from that, thats all i know about it, dissapointingly.

should i wing it, and put some blocking caps on the RCA connector board?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.