DTS and Dolby Digital

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

am starting to build my first multichannel amp. The problem is that I need a Dolby Digital, DTS and the others' processor. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on this?

I want to start from the D/A-converters and work my way to the speakers, don't want to start writing decompression algoritms for the DTS etc. code.

Very greatful for any input.

Niklas

I bought a JVC receiver with preamp outputs on it for use as a decoder. It's the only way to go! As was said earlier, you cant just buy the chips and use them without paying royalties that cost more than the whole receiver I bought. Not only that but you get all the other stuff like a tuner and phono pre. You also get remote controlled volume which is a nice thing.

Hi,

thanks for the info. The problem that I have (in my head) is that I don't believe that the preamp and other stuff in a cheap amplifier are good enough (let me know if I am wrong). What I wanted to do is to start off with a digital board, interface it to a microprocessor and build all the things around it with extremely good components etc. things that can not be utilized in a commercial amplifier.

I do electronics design (digital and RF) on a constant basis at work so building the digital interface (with LCD, remote etc) should not be a problem. Once I am finished with this I'll make all of it available at some site.

Thanks again for any comments,

Niklas

The whole Dolby circuit is digital until the final D/A which is 24 bit so it sounds ok. If you want, just gut the receivers analog section and use your own. Maybe bypass the powersupply caps and that sort of thing to pooge it. I have not had time to do it yet but I will get to it soon.

out of curiousity, what jvc model did you use and how much was it?

another option a lot of people do is buying a strictly dts/dd decoder. i believe a lot of people have used the technics models with good results. also look into creative's new pc setup. it does dts and dd IIRC.

i've been looking for this kinda thing for a while. i found a few inexpensive decoders, but nothing sold in the us (the jazz de-005 is one ive been looking for for a loooong time).

I used a RX-8030VBK that I got for $279 new not refurbed. I use my self built and designed amps for the front, center and sub and use the receivers built in amps for the rear and surround channels. It has DTS ES and DD EX so you can have up to 7.1 channels. The gain and delay are adjustable for all channels and it is done in the digital domain. It will also upconvert your digital signals to DVD data and bit rates(ie 48khz goes to 192khz). The built in amps are good enough for surround duty but not close to high-end. They claim 130wpc but I wouldnt call it that. Hey, for $279 its a steal! It was one of the few units that actually had pre-amp outs for all the channels.

yeah thats what I plan to do as well.

Buy a decent quality DTS/DD decoder/preamp and use that as a source for the amp.

You can get cheaper ones from computer speaker sets, as they often have a decoder box and the amps are built into the subwoofer.

Cant seem to find many on ebay at the moment though :(

Find a dead DVD player (heaps around) with onboard decoding and use those. They dont have all the DSP's etc but will decode DD & DTS.

There are plenty of Sony's around with the dreaded C13 error and the quality of the onboard decoders are quite good and some have other features as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.