LM337 problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built a simple -5V regulator using an LM337 the latest version of kwak-clock.

After soldering all the components, I then connected Vin and ground to the outputs of a DC adaptor. The output of the DC adaptor is +11.xxV and a max of 500mA. Checking Vout using a VOM, the voltage output is around +10.xxV. Well according to my calculations (using page 1 of LM137 PDF from National), the output should be -5V.

I then get the breadboard and connected all the components to it.
R1 is 270ohms and R2 is 820ohms. Output cap is rated at 220uF 25V. This is the same type of cap I'm using on a +5V regulator using an LM317. I then connected the DC adaptor output and the circuit in breadboard is giving me -5V which is what I need.

I then removed the resistors and caps from the breadboard and replaced the corresponding components in the veroboard. Connected the DC adaptor, it's still giving me +10.xxV.

I then got another set of resistors and caps and connected these to the breadboard. When I connected the DC adaptor this time, the output is +10.xxV. I noticed that the cap is getting very hot and I can't even touch it without burning myself.

I have tried 4 LM337.

Any ideas on the solution?

thanks

Jayel

PSU wrong way round?

An LM337 needs to be fed with a negative raw supply, to get +10V out, you must be feeding a positive supply in.

What voltage are you feeding into the reg, I think your problem lies there.

Andy.

P.S. You'll have to replace those caps - reverse biasing them is likely to have damaged them, the 337 might be dead or degraded too.

P.P.S Make sure the caps are the right way round too - negative terminals to the reg o/p/ i/p and adjust.

Exactly. 11.xx in giving 10.xx out sounds like the inoput minus the protection diode loss of .6 V or similar. Check that you feed the regulator a negative voltage in and as mentioned make sure your caps are correctly mounted with + at the gound terminal and - at the output.

/UrSv

To be safer, just insert a (low drop - if your input voltage is not high enough) diode between your DC adapter and the input of your reg, (before the caps !!). I always do that when using an adapter, since it often has a polarity switch, and misconnection is sooo easy ;)

Hope this helps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.