Replacing the laser assembly (KSS-151A) on a VRDS-10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got the new assembly, but I'm struggling to figure out just how much of the machine I have to disassemble to to fit the new unit.

Do the PCB's need to be removed and the top of the carriage assembly taken out, or is there a easier way????????

I'd really appreciate some help if anyone has any experience of doing this.

For anyone searching for similar info in the future, an answer to my own question.

I discovered two ways of replacing KSS-151A unit.

1. You can replace the laser assembly without removing either of the PCB's, but it is tricky and requires nimble fingers, a torch and some long nose tweezers. Simply remove the clamping mech and most of what holds the laser mech in place is immeadiately visible. The tricky bit is that the pin which the rhs of the mech pivots on can not be unscrewed at the front. It can be slid out from under its clamp, however, using a small terminal screwdriver.

The rest of the removal process is obvious.

The tricky bit in fitting the new unit is refitting the ribbon cable where it plugs in underneath the transport mech. The only way I found to do this reliably was to remove the back panel; lots of screws but relatively painless.

This is where the torch and long nose tweezers come into play. Removing the back panel provides the visibility necessary to refit the ribbon, looking through into the bottom of the machine.

2. Ultimately, the easier way of replacing the laser assembly is to remove both PCB's. This allows the tray holding the transport mech to be completely removed. Just make sure you note where everything plugs in on the PCB's and be careful to seat the ribbons correctly.

KSS-151A

Hi,

There are many ways to replace the Laserunit.
The best way is to remove only what's nessesary so you don't need to adjust and place all the screws you've removed.

If you need a blown up view of the mechanics, I can send you a scanned file of the VRDS mechanisme of the P-500 which is the same as the VRDS 10 .

All the best.

Audiofanatic ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.