CS8412 availability in UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Folks

I'm looking to get the CS8412 DIP chip in the UK to build Fedde's Nonos III dac, but all the usual suspects, (RS, Farnell etc.) have no stocks left. They offer the SMT version instead, but as a digital newcomer, I find that a little scary as it is an expensive chip to ruin on a first attempt...

So, anyone know of any suppliers with stocks left, or is prepared to part with one for ready money?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
US availability

Pinkmouse,
I was looking around last week for 8412s in the US and they're nearly impossible to find. There was one supplier that had 3 in stock and a minimum order of $100, so they said they'd sell me the 3 for $100. I can forward the information if thats of interest.

I've decided I'm better off using a CS8414 and a DIP/SMT adapter board. Digikey sells an adapter board for $10 and I think the 8414 goes for less, so that seems to be the way to go.

---Gary

I've got about a dozen or so of them. I'd like to keep a couple, so the rest are fair game. I'd ideally like to find an NPC 5843 DIP digital filter, so if anybody has one, maybe we can swap (with $$$ to offset the cost difference etc).

I'm always willing to accept cash, so if anybody needs one, e-mail me. How does $40 sound? I think I paid like $35 each for them if memory serves me right.

Sheldon
stokes@spinn.net

I originally obtained my 8412's from RS but they now list them as obsolete.
I had not spotted the 8414 at RS ?
The soic package has it's appeal ,but putting it on an adapter rather defeats it,s more compact nature, then again soic are a
pain if one is constructing using p2p methods.

But I was not too unhappy to use the 8414 as a replacement until I discovered it seems to consume a typical 40ma against the 8412's 27ma.
That may appear trivial but it is little bit annoying for those of us who like to make portable dacs
and value every precious milliamp we can save...

The 8416 seems pretty frugal compared to both the above,
though I have yet to study the other spec in any detail regards
applying it to my own needs ,basically tda 1453 based stuff.

I expect in ten years time 90% of the diy electronics community
will be equivalent to classic car enthusiasts rummaging around auto-jumbles searching for that vital obsolete part , i.e. something
with leads that can seen with the naked eye;) ;)

Setmenu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.