what's a better dropin replacement for a 7805?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
related question: why does there not seem to be good negative analogs to the LT1086? The LT1185 seems close but then they seem to think of it as more of a current regulator than a negative voltage regulator. The LT1175 is nice but the max input is -20V. That probably isn't an issue for 5V rails but it's a problem in some situations. Linear has a huge range of nice positive regulators but nothing for negative.

Anyway i know the LT1085 is widely favored on this forum, but their RMS noise spec is the same as that for ye olde LM317.

I spent a long time trying to figure out what regulator i wanted to use in a low-current +/-18V supply for a recent project, before I finally said ****it and used 317/337 with ADJ bypassed. I figured there was no need to stress over the noise figures because the design is balanced and the power rail noise will get rejected at the next amplifier or downstream.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.