Sony CXD2500 S/PDIF problems - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2004, 05:48 PM   #1
cheater is offline cheater  Poland
diyAudio Member

Default Sony CXD2500 S/PDIF problems

Hey,
recently I decided to open up and play around with my ages-old
changer, the Sony CDP-C315M. Turned out the CXD2500 had an S/PDIF out.
Note: it's my first mod of this kind, and I haven't been following any guides.

The datasheet said that HIGH on pin 59 turns on the S/PDIF on pin 60, and that V_HI was "at least 0.7 Volt". No maximums were told for this pin's HIGH state, but the chip's absolute max is 7 Volt for inputs, and I believe the datasheed also said HIGH should be as near as possible to V_dd.

So what I did was to tie +5V from pin 73 (V_dd, one of two) to pin 59 (MD2). I connected a chinch, center to pin 60 (DOUT) and mesh to digital GND.

The soldering alone was pretty hard, as I only have one of those oldschool pistol-shaped soldering irons, that use 0.5 milimeter wire as the tip :P
But I made it.

Now for the receiver... Since I only have a ghetto sound setup, it's a (don't flame me) SB Live Value (don't flame me).

I connected to the CD_SPDIF header, with the centre connected to the pin that doesn't go to the card's GND, and the mesh... to the pin that goes to GND.

Connected the thing with a chinch cable, and nothing fried. The music plays on the player's analog out, but the digital... just gives me bit-garbage (put a CD-ROM into an old CDA drive, and it's the same).

This thread, which popped out from the search:

Outputformat Sony CXD2500 Chip

hinted me that the format on the CXD2500's S/PDIF out could be wrong, and the fact that the SB Live is a big crap doesn't help at all.

Note that I know S/PDIF only as far as connecting my CD-ROM to the sound card :P
(I did have to make my own plugs. Just can't find those damn digital ones! Had to cut down the analog CD Audio plugs :P)

I did use my bottom-line multimeter, as well. The S/PDIF Out read 1572 Ohm when the player is off, and "infinite" when it's on. Also, the voltometer showed around 8-10 Volt when the player was on.
I guess the variance came from the fact that it IS a digital line, and that the multimeter IS just a cheap digital one.

So, how do I make it work?
Old 14th August 2004, 06:42 PM   #2
cheater is offline cheater  Poland
diyAudio Member

Oh, and the datasheet...
http://www.salsa.pl/~cheater/CXD2500AQ.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!