Sony CD - Laser replacement/Availability

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Evening all,

I’ll admit that I have a soft spot for (mechanically) well-constructed components. As a result of this I have picked up 2 used and defunct CD players. One being a 1991 CDP-X555ES, and the other a similar ‘well built’ CDP-X505ES. These are the well esteemed (at that time at least) Sony units sporting dark wooden side panels i.e. the little sisters of the CDP-X777ES/707ES which even today seems to have some merit when used as CD drive with separate DAC (my next DIY project if I can get either of them fixed). I have peeked the inards and the mechanical/electrical built quality is excellent although the exterior design is typical for the period - dark and dull.

Both units has been diagnosed with worn out laser pick-ups, which brings me to my questions:

1) Do you guys have any suggestions as to which unit I should try to fix? They are built quite alike, but some differences seems to exist on both the servo and analogue sections. My own vote goes to the newer 505 unit (but this may all be dependant on the answer to my next question)

2) Where to find the appropriate replacement laser unit (laser pick-up - if you prefer) in Europe? (Elsewhere?) The older 555 uses the KSS-271A (Sony part # ??) which now seems to be history and hard to come by. Does anyone have knowledge of a compatible substitute? The newer 505 has the KSS-272A unit (Sony part #884824411) which I have been able to track down as also being the unit used in the CDP-X779 and CDP-X707ES. Where to buy? - at what price?

3) I have acquainted myself of the actual replacement operation with what I have been able to find on the net (The DIYAudio archives/ Google), but does anyone have specific experience is replacing these laser units?

4) Does anyone have a repair manual for any of these nice old players? (If you have and would like to make it available to the community - I would gladly offer the space on www.juhlweb.dk for everyone else to download. If not - I would still like a copy:D )

Thanking you all in advance
Henrik (who will now hurry back to the OL Opening - on TV)

Re; laser pick - ups

Companies that supply TV & Video repair shops sell spare laser pick - up assemblies. I've seen them in Grandata (near London, England). I don't know if they have the right one but have a look.

There may be a similar company near you.

Look here

Edit, BTW they're good people to deal with, I've bought a few things from them:)

I have in my search located a few sources that supply laser pick-ups:

Hinkel (Germany): http://www.hinkel-elektronik.de/index.html
N-tronics (NL: http://www.n-tronics.com/
Dalbani (UK): http://www.dalbani.co.uk/index.php

The only problem with the above vendors is that neither of them (including Grandata as mentioned by johnnyx above) stocks the KSS-271A or KSS-272A. But perhaps others may find what they are looking for.........

Nisbeth - I have previously send them an E-mail, which the have not answered - maybe I should give them a call next week:confused:

Another option would be to make a few phonecalls to the local workshops that repairs consumer electronics....I'v frequently been positively surprised by the stock of spares they have laying around for older models. In many cases such old spareparts can be had for a crate of beer, since they don't have anything to use them for anymore.

Magura:)

Hi Henrik

An other option would be to make a list of cheap CD players that use the same laser pickups and look out for them where used stuff are sold.

I was able to replace the laser in a Marantz CD72 I got cheap because of a laser problem. The replacement was found from a cheap philips player I got for 100 kr. at frelsens haers genbrug here in aarhus.

It's fairly time consuming to make such an list, but it realy pays off if you are into old CD players. I used mainly diyaudio, google and parts lists from Grandata for my list of philips lasers.

Good luck :smash:

CD Laser pick-up assembly list

Hi Thomas,

OK - og tak - lad os tage den på anglisaksisk af hensyn til de øvrige delekventer i fora'et:D

Good idea, which I did try. I was however not succesful in finding any other 'cheap' players with the KSS-272A (Sony CDP-X505ES). I do know for a fact that it is also used in the CDP-777ES and CDP-X779ES) but thats not the way to go $$$$

If not allready on your list you may further add Sony CDP-X555ES to use the KSS-271A.

Eventually I got some very friendly help from Gert at Elektronik-Centret in Skovlund (+45 4450 3052) who helped me in searching for the part. Because of this I ended up buying from them a brand new original Sony pick-up at around 100 EUR. The 505 is now back on track - next it needs a digital output modification - only optical is standard - well another DIY project waiting to happen:)

If you would care to share your list, I would't mind receiving a copy (or publish it on the web if you prefer/allow)

Also while I'm at it - also a big thanks to all the rest of you who provided info and/or was willing to help.

Hi Henrik,

Selv tak :)

I'm glad you were able to find a replacement, and even a new one. Price was a bit high though, but I'm shure it will serve you for many years to come. I will keep Gert's phonenumber for later use.

As to my list. It only contains information about Philips lasers and the CDP's using them (mainly philips and marantz). Therefore I'm not shure it will be usefull for you.

Happy listening/

My first post, and I'm dragging this up from the dead :)

I got a Sony CDP-X707ES given to me. It intermittently skips, always during the second half of the CD.

Seems to be either weak/worn laser or spin motor. Is the KSS-272A item just the laser unit itself, or the whole Laser assembly?

Should I try spin motor or laser unit first if they are separate items? Or both? :)

Cheapest I've found so far is Donberg here in Ireland at 110 Euro. Can I order direct from Sony without being in the trade, and are they likely to be cheaper?

Many Thanks, Richard

I downloaded a service manual - whole mech is unlikely to be available, KSS-272A is just the laser assembly, and it looks as if the spin motor comes in component form (separate bearing and pulley assy's)!

Going to order the laser first, and go from there.

Richard

i bought a spare laser for my 779 two years (maybe 3 - my memory is fuzzy) ago. i'll try to find where it came from and post later.

a one time (may still be true - i haven't kept up) i've been told that Accuphase used the same transport/mechanisms as these Sony "tank" machines. Therefore, Accuphase may be able to source replacement parts, but I'm sure they will be Accupha$e expen$$$ive. :D

good luck.

mlloyd1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.