Sony CD - Laser replacement/Availability - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2004, 10:00 AM   #11
Thomas is offline Thomas  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Henrik

An other option would be to make a list of cheap CD players that use the same laser pickups and look out for them where used stuff are sold.

I was able to replace the laser in a Marantz CD72 I got cheap because of a laser problem. The replacement was found from a cheap philips player I got for 100 kr. at frelsens haers genbrug here in aarhus.

It's fairly time consuming to make such an list, but it realy pays off if you are into old CD players. I used mainly diyaudio, google and parts lists from Grandata for my list of philips lasers.

Good luck
Old 28th September 2004, 11:11 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default CD Laser pick-up assembly list

Hi Thomas,

OK - og tak - lad os tage den på anglisaksisk af hensyn til de øvrige delekventer i fora'et

Good idea, which I did try. I was however not succesful in finding any other 'cheap' players with the KSS-272A (Sony CDP-X505ES). I do know for a fact that it is also used in the CDP-777ES and CDP-X779ES) but thats not the way to go $$$$

If not allready on your list you may further add Sony CDP-X555ES to use the KSS-271A.

Eventually I got some very friendly help from Gert at Elektronik-Centret in Skovlund (+45 4450 3052) who helped me in searching for the part. Because of this I ended up buying from them a brand new original Sony pick-up at around 100 EUR. The 505 is now back on track - next it needs a digital output modification - only optical is standard - well another DIY project waiting to happen

If you would care to share your list, I would't mind receiving a copy (or publish it on the web if you prefer/allow)

Also while I'm at it - also a big thanks to all the rest of you who provided info and/or was willing to help.
Old 28th September 2004, 11:42 AM   #13
Thomas is offline Thomas  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Henrik,

Selv tak

I'm glad you were able to find a replacement, and even a new one. Price was a bit high though, but I'm shure it will serve you for many years to come. I will keep Gert's phonenumber for later use.

As to my list. It only contains information about Philips lasers and the CDP's using them (mainly philips and marantz). Therefore I'm not shure it will be usefull for you.

Happy listening/
Old 10th December 2004, 08:44 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default 779es laser

I am trying to find a laser for my Sony 779ES in The Netherlands, or Europe. Any suggestions??
Old 10th December 2004, 09:41 AM   #15
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
Default I got mine here:

http://www.donberg.ie/descript/k/kss272a.htm

I might need another soon...
Let us know if you find a cheaper supplyer!

Arne K
Old 13th July 2006, 10:42 AM   #16
dowser is offline dowser  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

My first post, and I'm dragging this up from the dead

I got a Sony CDP-X707ES given to me. It intermittently skips, always during the second half of the CD.

Seems to be either weak/worn laser or spin motor. Is the KSS-272A item just the laser unit itself, or the whole Laser assembly?

Should I try spin motor or laser unit first if they are separate items? Or both?

Cheapest I've found so far is Donberg here in Ireland at 110 Euro. Can I order direct from Sony without being in the trade, and are they likely to be cheaper?

Many Thanks, Richard
Old 14th July 2006, 08:09 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I downloaded a service manual - whole mech is unlikely to be available, KSS-272A is just the laser assembly, and it looks as if the spin motor comes in component form (separate bearing and pulley assy's)!

Going to order the laser first, and go from there.

Richard
Old 14th July 2006, 07:35 PM   #18
mlloyd1 is offline mlloyd1  United States
diyAudio Member

i bought a spare laser for my 779 two years (maybe 3 - my memory is fuzzy) ago. i'll try to find where it came from and post later.

a one time (may still be true - i haven't kept up) i've been told that Accuphase used the same transport/mechanisms as these Sony "tank" machines. Therefore, Accuphase may be able to source replacement parts, but I'm sure they will be Accupha$e expen$$$ive.

good luck.

mlloyd1
Old 17th July 2006, 06:05 AM   #19
Wombat2 is offline Wombat2  Australia
diyAudio Member

This is an Australian company but the online catalogue has pictures of the parts that ensures you are quoting the right part number

http://www.wagner.net.au/Home.htm
Old 17th July 2006, 09:42 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks - I'll let you know when/if I find one!

Richard

Hide this!Advertise here!