A budget home-theater solution. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2004, 02:29 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A budget home-theater solution.

Hello everyone! I hope this is the right section.

I am looking for a very cheap solution for my TV. I need an inexpensive surround sound system for watching movies and playing console games. Lets say my budget is $300, or $400 if it's REALLY necessary. I don't need really good sound (luckily, for the budget). I've never had anything better than TV sound anyway.

Probably a HTIB is the best, but maybe you can enlighten me. Thanks!
Old 12th August 2004, 06:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yeah with 300 I dont think you would be able to build a WHOLE system.. (plus you would have to buy a dvd player.)

Unless you willing to spend 500 or more, you would probably have to go with a HTIB.

Look for ones on sale, or local used ones even, and use www.audioreview.com for reviews.
Old 12th August 2004, 07:18 AM   #3
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

Dayton makes a surround system with a powered sub for $99 I think through Parts Express, although I can't comment on it's fidelity. But for the money...
Old 12th August 2004, 03:27 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

That sounds cheap! I guess I'd need a reciever too though.

I do have a DVD player, and I have no interest in the cheap packages that come with a built-in DVD player, and no stereo inputs on the back.

However there are some cheap HTIB systems by companies like RCA. I just don't know if there is something better that can be got for the same price or a little more.

This one is really cheap:

http://www.audioreview.com/Home,Thea...x.aspx#reviews
Old 12th August 2004, 03:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have another question: With a HTIB reciever, does the video cable from the DVD, VHS, or Xbox plug into the reciever as well, or can I leave it connected to the TV?
Old 12th August 2004, 04:32 PM   #6
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

haven't built this, .. but theoretically speaking, ....

if you're willing to build the enclosures, .. 5 tangband based speakers, an MCM woofer & a cheap plate amp in a sealed / ported / sonotube sub and one of those panasonic digital recievers (SA-XR10 , discountinued, . can be had quite cheap on ebay at $100 - $150) should float your boat (just about).

DVD player toshiba 3960 , ... around $60 - $70 dollars here in the US, .. an excellent piece for the $$ , ... somewhat of a cult piece due to it's mod-ability.
Old 12th August 2004, 04:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

That sounds interesting - I've never built a speaker set before. I'm sure I could though, if I had the time. I'll have to look into it

BTW I do have a DVD player. I stated it in an above post, which has yet to be moderated.
Old 12th August 2004, 08:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I didn't want to double post, again, but I couldn't edit ...

This may sounds stupid, but what would happen if I plugged a set of 5.1 computer speakers (like the Logitech Z640) directly into the TV or DVD player, etc?

And completely unrelated, how can I plug speakers that are not designed for a computer (i.e. with just speaker wire protruding from it) into a computer?
Old 12th August 2004, 09:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Berethorn

And completely unrelated, how can I plug speakers that are not designed for a computer (i.e. with just speaker wire protruding from it) into a computer?
You will need an amplifier between the PC and the speaker.

The output of the soundcard isnt powerful enough to power the speaker.

Does your DVD player have a built in decoder? (left,center,right,surround out on the back?) or just stereo?

You can buy RCA to stereo minijack adapters that would let you plug in the computer speakers.
Old 12th August 2004, 11:32 PM   #10
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

if your DVD player has a 5.1 output, .. a z640 or such might work.

another surround sound alternative (if your DVD players doesn't have a 5.1 output) would be the higher end logitech etc .. speaker systems which have built in decoders.

one thing you should consider, .. do you really need / want a surround system?

all said and done, .. the sound from MOST computer systems is real crappy (overblown bass, distorted sound) , .. and not comparable to a real audio setup. there are some good setups out there but most will fail to perform well in a room application, as opposed to the typical nearfield PC application.

i'm still not clear whether you want to build or buy, .. another option you might consider (if you want to save up for now) is a vintage 2 channel setup (some very credible gear out there selling for peanuts) , . .which you can later sell for little or no loss (if you wish to) when the time comes.

Hide this!Advertise here!