Does the PCM2902 DAC benefit from an external regulator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building a headphone amplifier with the PCM2902 USB codec (to be specific, the analog portion of the design is Jan Meier's design). My plan is to use a REG103 to provide 5V from the 15V power supply, avoiding the dirty USB power. However, I'm wondering if I should also get another regulator to provide the 3.6V for V_CCCI. The data sheet indicates that without this regulator, ADC performance suffers, but it doesn't comment on DAC performance, which is what I'm interested in. Does anyone know whether the regulator is helpful for DAC-only use?

BTW, reading through many posts here about the PCM2902 has made me a little concerned about grounding. Is it a good idea to directly connect the analog and digital grounds or not? The circuit includes a ground-loop breaker, but I don't know how much it would help, if at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.