Digital Audio Burning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need some good advise here.
I’m trying to transfer my good old vinyl to some kind of digital media with the best possible quality.
I was reading with great interest in the latest issue of HI-FI News of how you can make a DVD-Audio disc. That’s the way I thought – but my problem is, that I don’t have DVD-Audio player (yet) nor a DVD-Writer(yet) in my PC nor the DVD-Audio authoring software (there seems to be no freeware lying around).
But anyway I thought, let’s get started:
1. I recorded the vinyl through my M-Audio 2496 setup with a sample rate of 96 kHz.
2. I used Audacity (latest version) – and all went fine – the recording is in 24/96.
3. I told Audacity to export as a wav-file in 24Bit/96kHz. No problem.
4. But when I reload the wav-file into Audacity, it DOES NOT say, that I have a 24/96-file, it says 32bit floating/96kHz. Why is that??
5. I used the Peter Craven filter from Hi-Fi News. It will only accept 24bit-files and it all worked very well, so maybe I should not be concerned about the 32bit-floating?
6. After that I did some noise removal in Adobe Audition, and that’s where I’m stuck. I have now the 24/96-files lying on my HD – but I want them on some kind of CD (not DVD) to play in my DVD-player, that can play everything except DVD-Audio and SACD.
7. Nero will NOT burn an audio-cd from the 24/96-files, but if I “downsample” to 16/96 it will. I suppose though that Nero is converting the 96 kHz to 44.1 kHz, since this CD is playable in a normal stand-alone cd-player, which only accepts the normal cd-audio format.
8. This is not what I want – I guess that doing the corrections (declicking, denoising etc.) on a 24/96-file and then downsample to 16/44.1 will in the end up with a better sound??

The GREAT question is: is there a way to burn an audio-cd higher than 16/44.1, so that it will be playable in my DVD-player????

raveon

:smash:

raveon said:
I’m trying to transfer my good old vinyl to some kind of digital media with the best possible quality.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buy an Alesis Masterlink ML9600 26/96/red book HD recorder. This saves thew hassle and uncertainty of spending too much on hardware and software and guarantees good results with either CD24 (24bit) CDRs or red book CDs.

I am an engineer and yet find all this nonsenese about what you can do with computer audio undoable!! This is without spending loads on software. The promise of hirez computer audio is often simply dishonest or ignorant.:smash: :smash: :smash:

raveon said:
I was reading with great interest in the latest issue of HI-FI News of how you can make a DVD-Audio disc. That’s the way I thought – but my problem is, that I don’t have DVD-Audio player (yet) nor a DVD-Writer(yet) in my PC nor the DVD-Audio authoring software (there seems to be no freeware lying around).
But anyway I thought, let’s get started:
1. I recorded the vinyl through my M-Audio 2496 setup with a sample rate of 96 kHz.
2. I used Audacity (latest version) – and all went fine – the recording is in 24/96.
3. I told Audacity to export as a wav-file in 24Bit/96kHz. No problem.
4. But when I reload the wav-file into Audacity, it DOES NOT say, that I have a 24/96-file, it says 32bit floating/96kHz. Why is that??
5. I used the Peter Craven filter from Hi-Fi News. It will only accept 24bit-files and it all worked very well, so maybe I should not be concerned about the 32bit-floating?
6. After that I did some noise removal in Adobe Audition, and that’s where I’m stuck. I have now the 24/96-files lying on my HD – but I want them on some kind of CD (not DVD) to play in my DVD-player, that can play everything except DVD-Audio and SACD.
7. Nero will NOT burn an audio-cd from the 24/96-files, but if I “downsample” to 16/96 it will. I suppose though that Nero is converting the 96 kHz to 44.1 kHz, since this CD is playable in a normal stand-alone cd-player, which only accepts the normal cd-audio format.
8. This is not what I want – I guess that doing the corrections (declicking, denoising etc.) on a 24/96-file and then downsample to 16/44.1 will in the end up with a better sound??

The GREAT question is: is there a way to burn an audio-cd higher than 16/44.1, so that it will be playable in my DVD-player????

raveon

:smash:

1, 2, 3 are ok :), also as per your statement...

4. audacity loads 24 bit files as 32 bit files in order to minimize processing errors.

5. Be VERY CAREFUL with noise removal. It can RUIN the music if you overdo it even just by a tad little bit.

6. Resample to 16 bit/44.1 khz using triangular dithering.

7. Yep, Nero resamples from sample rates other than 44.1, and it's routines are not among the best.

8. Correct.

GREAT question: No :(

Do some more readings on this topic a http://www.hydrogenaudio.org. Better buy the cd if available or be VERY careful whilst you do all the stuff.

Re: I'll second the Alessis.........

Jocko Homo said:
For something with only a Sony CD-ROM, an AD DSP chip, and a handful of other parts........it sounds pretty good.

Good enough to borrow and transfer your LPs to CD.

I did.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even better if you clean up the PS and coupling with better caps!!
Use outboard ADC and DAC for more improvement.

The unit is quite media dependent. The expensive TDKs sound best to me. Cheapo CDRs by the hundred are definitely inferior despite the pro and reference claims.

You can get 24 minutes using TDK 800Mbs on 2496.:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

erko said:
Hello,

I use this tool to enhance/upsamle my cd's to 24/96 format.
But you can also use this tool to make an dvd-v datafiles from you 24/96 wav files on your pc.
You can try for free 2 weeks I think, after that it'll cost around Euro 60.
www.eximius.nl
The product is called dvd+audio.

Eric
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DOESN'T WORK ON MY COMPUTER. Can't see why.

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Re: Re: Digital Audio Burning

lucpes said:

6. Resample to 16 bit/44.1 khz using triangular dithering.

Thanks for your very informative answers.
As to point 6.: Do you have any experience with Adobe Audition and resampling/converting. There seems to be a lot of possibilities. Should I just stick to the default settings?
Is there perhaps a better program for the job?

raveon

Re: Re: I'll second the Alessis.........

fmak said:

You can get 24 minutes using TDK 800Mbs on 2496.:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Yes, but what can it play on after that??

I think you might have to bite the dust and get a DVD burner. I've read that you can record straight 96Khz music to DVD, and it will play on a DVD player. DVD-Burners are down to like $US 150 for a good brand (Sony, HP...Plextor maybe), and ~ $US 80 for the knock off brands (benQ, LiteOn).

Then you could even use the mini 3" DVD's, they 1.4Gb...would look cool :D

erko said:
I tried it this morning, and I could download the trial version.
Maybe the website was temporarily offline.
Just type www.eximius.nl
Temporarily you can not buy the product.
I can mail you the file I downloaded if you wish.

Eric
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I downloaded it and it doesn't work by following the instructions which are a bit opaque.

Do you have some simple instructions which cannot be misinterpreted?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Re: Re: Re: I'll second the Alessis.........

Hybrid fourdoor said:

Yes, but what can it play on after that??

I think you might have to bite the dust and get a DVD burner. I've read that you can record straight 96Khz music to DVD, and it will play on a DVD player. DVD-Burners are down to like $US 150 for a good brand (Sony, HP...Plextor maybe), and ~ $US 80 for the knock off brands (benQ, LiteOn).

Then you could even use the mini 3" DVD's, they 1.4Gb...would look cool :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer audio, I have found to my cost is opague. There is:

1. Hardware (sound card, noise etc)

2. Software (they don't often do as they claim)

3. Catalogue issues on DVD.

Those who claim that computer audio for the everman is as good as true hifi exaggerate.

Simply to buy a good recorder like the Alesis for a good price and play on this. Alternatively, you down sample to CD.

I am currently trying to find a way of playing CD24. There must be away.

Re: Re: Re: Digital Audio Burning

raveon said:

Thanks for your very informative answers.
As to point 6.: Do you have any experience with Adobe Audition and resampling/converting. There seems to be a lot of possibilities. Should I just stick to the default settings?
Is there perhaps a better program for the job?

raveon

Here's a good article on dithering (when converting from 24bit to 16 bit for instance) http://www.cadenzarecording.com/dither.html , sorry, don't have any experience with Adobe Audition.

erko said:
Hello fmac,

I'm not sure in what part of the program you got stuck.
You can send me an email, or ask for help on the eximius website.
Hope that will clarify the programs usage.

eric
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I could not start the program by following the instructions. Nothing happens!! Using 98SE

resampling

To all you guys.

I have read with great interest all your remarks - and think that I have learned a lot.
The Alesis is a bit over what i want to spend in cool cash, but I get the point though.
The mentioned program works okay on my computer.

But I have been busy:

1. recorded 24/96 with Adobe Audition.
2. did some 18Hz/12db scientific filtering.
3. reversed the file - I read elsewhere that the sound would be better ?.
3. did a slight clicks/pops removing.
4. reversed the file again.
5. saved
6. did the resampling with ssrc - triangular dithering.
7. split up and burned the cd.

The final sound is okay, but compared to the vinyl, it seems that the cd could need at bit of deessing.

Any comments ?

raveon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.