Digital Audio Burning - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2004, 05:31 PM   #1
raveon is offline raveon  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Digital Audio Burning

I need some good advise here.
I’m trying to transfer my good old vinyl to some kind of digital media with the best possible quality.
I was reading with great interest in the latest issue of HI-FI News of how you can make a DVD-Audio disc. That’s the way I thought – but my problem is, that I don’t have DVD-Audio player (yet) nor a DVD-Writer(yet) in my PC nor the DVD-Audio authoring software (there seems to be no freeware lying around).
But anyway I thought, let’s get started:
1. I recorded the vinyl through my M-Audio 2496 setup with a sample rate of 96 kHz.
2. I used Audacity (latest version) – and all went fine – the recording is in 24/96.
3. I told Audacity to export as a wav-file in 24Bit/96kHz. No problem.
4. But when I reload the wav-file into Audacity, it DOES NOT say, that I have a 24/96-file, it says 32bit floating/96kHz. Why is that??
5. I used the Peter Craven filter from Hi-Fi News. It will only accept 24bit-files and it all worked very well, so maybe I should not be concerned about the 32bit-floating?
6. After that I did some noise removal in Adobe Audition, and that’s where I’m stuck. I have now the 24/96-files lying on my HD – but I want them on some kind of CD (not DVD) to play in my DVD-player, that can play everything except DVD-Audio and SACD.
7. Nero will NOT burn an audio-cd from the 24/96-files, but if I “downsample” to 16/96 it will. I suppose though that Nero is converting the 96 kHz to 44.1 kHz, since this CD is playable in a normal stand-alone cd-player, which only accepts the normal cd-audio format.
8. This is not what I want – I guess that doing the corrections (declicking, denoising etc.) on a 24/96-file and then downsample to 16/44.1 will in the end up with a better sound??

The GREAT question is: is there a way to burn an audio-cd higher than 16/44.1, so that it will be playable in my DVD-player????

raveon

Old 31st July 2004, 06:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Digital Audio Burning

Audio-CD's are Red Book compliant. That means 16/44K1.
Old 31st July 2004, 07:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by raveon
[B]I need some good advise here.
I’m trying to transfer my good old vinyl to some kind of digital media with the best possible quality.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buy an Alesis Masterlink ML9600 26/96/red book HD recorder. This saves thew hassle and uncertainty of spending too much on hardware and software and guarantees good results with either CD24 (24bit) CDRs or red book CDs.

I am an engineer and yet find all this nonsenese about what you can do with computer audio undoable!! This is without spending loads on software. The promise of hirez computer audio is often simply dishonest or ignorant.
Old 31st July 2004, 07:42 PM   #4
Banned

Default I'll second the Alessis.........

For something with only a Sony CD-ROM, an AD DSP chip, and a handful of other parts........it sounds pretty good.

Good enough to borrow and transfer your LPs to CD.

I did.

Jocko
Old 31st July 2004, 08:10 PM   #5
erko is offline erko  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I use this tool to enhance/upsamle my cd's to 24/96 format.
But you can also use this tool to make an dvd-v datafiles from you 24/96 wav files on your pc.
You can try for free 2 weeks I think, after that it'll cost around Euro 60.
www.eximius.nl
The product is called dvd+audio.

Eric
Old 31st July 2004, 09:27 PM   #6
lucpes is offline lucpes  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to lucpes

Quote:
Originally posted by raveon
I need some good advise here.
I was reading with great interest in the latest issue of HI-FI News of how you can make a DVD-Audio disc. That’s the way I thought – but my problem is, that I don’t have DVD-Audio player (yet) nor a DVD-Writer(yet) in my PC nor the DVD-Audio authoring software (there seems to be no freeware lying around).
But anyway I thought, let’s get started:
1. I recorded the vinyl through my M-Audio 2496 setup with a sample rate of 96 kHz.
2. I used Audacity (latest version) – and all went fine – the recording is in 24/96.
3. I told Audacity to export as a wav-file in 24Bit/96kHz. No problem.
4. But when I reload the wav-file into Audacity, it DOES NOT say, that I have a 24/96-file, it says 32bit floating/96kHz. Why is that??
5. I used the Peter Craven filter from Hi-Fi News. It will only accept 24bit-files and it all worked very well, so maybe I should not be concerned about the 32bit-floating?
6. After that I did some noise removal in Adobe Audition, and that’s where I’m stuck. I have now the 24/96-files lying on my HD – but I want them on some kind of CD (not DVD) to play in my DVD-player, that can play everything except DVD-Audio and SACD.
7. Nero will NOT burn an audio-cd from the 24/96-files, but if I “downsample” to 16/96 it will. I suppose though that Nero is converting the 96 kHz to 44.1 kHz, since this CD is playable in a normal stand-alone cd-player, which only accepts the normal cd-audio format.
8. This is not what I want – I guess that doing the corrections (declicking, denoising etc.) on a 24/96-file and then downsample to 16/44.1 will in the end up with a better sound??

The GREAT question is: is there a way to burn an audio-cd higher than 16/44.1, so that it will be playable in my DVD-player????

raveon

1, 2, 3 are ok , also as per your statement...

4. audacity loads 24 bit files as 32 bit files in order to minimize processing errors.

5. Be VERY CAREFUL with noise removal. It can RUIN the music if you overdo it even just by a tad little bit.

6. Resample to 16 bit/44.1 khz using triangular dithering.

7. Yep, Nero resamples from sample rates other than 44.1, and it's routines are not among the best.

8. Correct.

GREAT question: No

Do some more readings on this topic a http://www.hydrogenaudio.org. Better buy the cd if available or be VERY careful whilst you do all the stuff.
Old 31st July 2004, 09:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: I'll second the Alessis.........

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jocko Homo
[B]For something with only a Sony CD-ROM, an AD DSP chip, and a handful of other parts........it sounds pretty good.

Good enough to borrow and transfer your LPs to CD.

I did.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even better if you clean up the PS and coupling with better caps!!
Use outboard ADC and DAC for more improvement.

The unit is quite media dependent. The expensive TDKs sound best to me. Cheapo CDRs by the hundred are definitely inferior despite the pro and reference claims.

You can get 24 minutes using TDK 800Mbs on 2496.
Old 1st August 2004, 06:37 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by erko
Hello,

I use this tool to enhance/upsamle my cd's to 24/96 format.
But you can also use this tool to make an dvd-v datafiles from you 24/96 wav files on your pc.
You can try for free 2 weeks I think, after that it'll cost around Euro 60.
www.eximius.nl
The product is called dvd+audio.

Eric
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DOESN'T WORK ON MY COMPUTER. Can't see why.

Old 1st August 2004, 07:50 AM   #9
erko is offline erko  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I tried it this morning, and I could download the trial version.
Maybe the website was temporarily offline.
Just type www.eximius.nl
Temporarily you can not buy the product.
I can mail you the file I downloaded if you wish.

Eric
Old 1st August 2004, 09:25 AM   #10
raveon is offline raveon  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Digital Audio Burning

Quote:
Originally posted by lucpes

6. Resample to 16 bit/44.1 khz using triangular dithering.

Thanks for your very informative answers.
As to point 6.: Do you have any experience with Adobe Audition and resampling/converting. There seems to be a lot of possibilities. Should I just stick to the default settings?
Is there perhaps a better program for the job?

raveon

Hide this!Advertise here!