24/96 and 24/192 is no good. MP3 sounds better! - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2002, 03:57 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

Petracci asked
Quote:
So if you correct the frequency lags for full wavelengths and you compare the phases of frequency components of the orginal signal and the filtered signal, they will be the same?
What do you exactly mean, i.e. what do you want to do to your signal and for what reason ?

regards

Charles
Old 30th July 2002, 09:20 AM   #92
diyAudio Member

In order to post a little more on-topic regarding this tread here's my two cents:

In my opinion MP3 and the like was never intended for serious listening but as a new technology for portables.

As far as the often stated "CD quality" goes, my opinion is that the CD doesn't make full use of many capabilities of the human hearing. I think when the standard was born (more than 20 years ago) it was with the goal in mind to be able to implement it with reasonable cost (in the end you want to be able to SELL what you invent).
In the beginning there were even CD-players using only 14 bit DACs simply for economic reasons and those were still quite expensive !!!
The dynamic range of the human hearing is far better than what the CD's theoretical 96 dB allows !
When the first players and CDs arrived people were quite astonished by their ease of use and the apparant absence of noise (one of the main sales arguments back then) which aren't any guarantee for high quality sound on their own. I think everybody on this forum has had the opportunity to listen to old noisy recordings that beat many modern recordings in respect to naturalness and accuracy.
But it IS possible to produce good sounding CDs. I think the bad sound of many CDs has nothing to do with the technology itself but with the people who produce them (i.e. musicians, sound engineers,producers,.....) and aren't able to use the potential of this medium to the full extent.

But after 20 years I think it is time to introduce new standards that are getting closer to our hearing's capabilities and that use the offerings of today's technology.
I have to admit that I haven't listened to DVD-A so far but have been able to hear the differences between SACD and CD (from hybrid discs to have a fair comparison) and it was definitely a step forward.

As far as analog goes: I don't listen to vinyl currently. But I own some records that definitely sounded better on my old TT than the CD version. And my TT was far from being high-end. It was a very old German-made Dual with a Shure M95 cartridge.

Regards

Charles
Old 30th July 2002, 09:30 AM   #93
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

As to 14 bit DACs in early CDPs I think my first one was a Mitsubishi 12 bit player...

/UrSv

Hide this!Advertise here!