ISP of Atmel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BCP99 said:
Who have the schematic of programing tool for ATMEL ISP.
And use with FLIP.
I program my AVR projects at home using a PonyProg interface (http://www.lancos.com/prog.html)

The Atmel "AVR ISP" serial programmer (which I assume you're talking about) is dirt cheap, but it's got a lot of parts in it, including an AVR with proprietary code. Personally, I'd buy one - it'll cost considerably less than building one from scratch, and it'll be a heck of a lot less hassle too.

Better still is using a simple passive printerport-to-ISP adaptor, which you can solder yourself in 5 minutes. There is an unofficial standard and it will work with most software.

Personally, I use "uisp" under Linux, but it also comes as a part of WinAVR (a free C development environment).

Hi,

You can do indeed Oliver but then you can’t program al the fuses necessary of i.e. de Mega ones. Atmel does not support this any longer in their build in programming interface of their development software.

I second Qmarsh advise and BUY an Atmel serial programmer. Please save yourself the hassle to get a DIY programmer up and running. That serial programmer is really a bargain and gets you on the run without scratching your head why it does not work. It also comes with a CD loaded with tools and app. notes not all found on the Atmel website.

I am myself using the free IAR assembler. The .h definition files for a particular micro are only on that CD and not on the web.

Cheers ;)

Pjotr said:

You can do indeed Oliver but then you can’t program al the fuses necessary of i.e. de Mega ones. Atmel does not support this any longer in their build in programming interface of their development software.

Which ATmega(s) are you refering to? I had no problem with programming the fuses for the atmega16 and atmega128 with a diy 5-minutes passive cable.

Interesting, but I never stumbled across any problems. I've set clock source fuses, JTAG fuses, security fuses and BoD-level fuses with my adaptor without any problems. What fuses can the Atmel serial programmer program that I can't? Obviously if you set the ISP disable fuse, you're out of luck, but I guess the Atmel serial programmer won't help in this case either.

As I'm not using windoze, AVR studio is out for me anyway, but the Atmel AVR family has excellent support under Linux.

Wes Marquenie said:
Which ATmega(s) are you refering to? I had no problem with programming the fuses for the atmega16 and atmega128 with a diy 5-minutes passive cable.

Had problems with the Tiny22 and the Mega8. I used these ones for a PID temp controller. But that was about a year ago when they were just released. Only the Atmel serial programmer worked properly and had support for those then.

The Mega8 is really a powerful beast :)

Cheers ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.