marantz DV18 MK II dead (sugestions welcomed)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

My marantz DV18 MK II has died. It's out of waranty and I'm not sure if it is worth getting it fixed. Symptoms are quite weird. It was refusing to load a particular cd, but would load others ok, eventually I got it to load the cd, but it was skipping a bit when playing it.

It was turned off with said cd in the drive, and when I turned it back on the display started showing lots of things it shouldn't (like sacd, DTS, 192Khz, and a bunch of other stuff, no buttons were responsive and the open/close button wouldn't eject the disk. If I power it up in test one mode, all tests work ok, if I power it up in test two mode it never completes the test. I pulled it apart and removed and replaced all of the ribon connectors, and put it back together. It started working, but only for about 10 minutes, and then it went back into the same state (ie display showing lots of abnormal stuff and completely unresponsive).

Has anyone seen this problem with a DV18, and if so do you know how to fix it, or whether it is expensive to get fixed professionally. any help apreciated.

I'm suspecting it could be a power supply problem, as it makes a funny ticking noise (bit like an arcing noise) when I power it off.

Regards,

Tony.

It might be the power supply. This is the only section of the player you did not play with, the simptoms are still there, so it's probably SMPS. If you hear the strange noise from the SMPS ONLY WHILE TURNING IT OFF, this might be normal. However, if you here the noise from the SMPS during operation, you have the faulty SMPS. You should not be able to here the high frequency of the SMPS switching...

Measure the voltages coming out of SMPS in idle, and then while playing CD / DVD. There should not be any fluctuations present. Also, measure the rails cold, and then again hot / after 10-15 min.

Tell me what you found....

Cheers

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Due to lack of time I ended up taking it to the repair shop. turned out to be dry joints on the main digital PCB. It is now back to being fully operational :) Wasn't cheap to get fixed but didn't cost an absolute bomb either (about $150 AUS) which I think was worth it.

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.