CD player chipset programming - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2004, 12:11 PM   #1
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default CD player chipset programming

Hello there,

I'm planning to modify (read: rebuild ) a Technics SL-PG CD player around an old (cheap but good) Philips CD transport. It uses a standard chipset from Panasonic, the MN66271 (a LSI chip for signal processing etc.).

While the manufacturer's datasheet for that IC is easily available, any information about it's microcontroller interface and programming is not. The Technics player 'features' a NEC controller that I can't reuse.

I want to interface the MN66271 to a uC like an AVR. Can someone provide some information on how to interface to and how to program the MN66271?

Thanks,
Sebastian.

PS:
Currently I'm not interrested in a replacement for the MN66271, nor in reclocking or output interface issues, just the interfacing and programming of the LSI.
Reclocked S/P-DIF and AES/EBU output, VFD with convenient buttons and a dedicated quality power supply are planned, though...
Old 22nd July 2004, 11:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Okay, after more than 40 views without response I think I make myself a little more clear

The Panasonic MN66271 is an integrated CD player controller chip.
I want to use the good Philips CD transport and it's (not too good) chipset in a DIY way.

What I want to do is: build a good power supply and a digital-out interface for the working transport and chipset. Then put everything into a beautiful enclosure and - almost done.

What this setup is missing would be the user interface, which has to be done with a microcontroller. The player currently features a NEC78042.

While I have no problems to program a microcontroller, I just don't know what commands the MN66271 takes in which format, and how it responds to the controller.

The datasheet (without the software documentation) for the MN66271 can be found here. The IC has a serial interface (3 wire) which could be reverse engineered, but I'm lacking experience and equipment for doing so.

If anyone could provide any kind of information and/or experience on how such LSI CD player chips are interfaced, any help would be very appreciated.

Sebastian.
Old 23rd July 2004, 06:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

80 views and still no reply...

Okay, let's get a little broader. Does anyone of you know how to program any such chip using a microcontroller? It's only about the user interface, folks. The controller just has to drive the front panel elements of the CD player. Everything else is fine.

Hide this!Advertise here!