CDPRO2 Group Project (open source project) - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2004, 11:44 AM   #21
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thank You Rarkov, that's my point. There's no programming datasheet available (while pinout and block diagram are documented!).

For this reason, my plan involves connecting the new controller to the old one and letting it "sniff" on the serial port. This way, I could determine the protocol (by trial and error, but I assume it's I2C) and let the new controller "learn" the old one's language

So let me ask my original question in another way: Would the controller hardware and software discussed in this thread be suitable for connection to an I2C drive (I don't want to study the entire source code just to find that out)?

Thanks,
Sebastian.
Old 4th August 2004, 12:27 PM   #22
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by sek
Hi,

Thank You Rarkov, that's my point. There's no programming datasheet available (while pinout and block diagram are documented!).

For this reason, my plan involves connecting the new controller to the old one and letting it "sniff" on the serial port. This way, I could determine the protocol (by trial and error, but I assume it's I2C) and let the new controller "learn" the old one's language

So let me ask my original question in another way: Would the controller hardware and software discussed in this thread be suitable for connection to an I2C drive (I don't want to study the entire source code just to find that out)?

Thanks,
Sebastian.
The PIC18F452 (the microcontroller used in my cd player) does support I2C, and there are available pins for it. As for using it for controlling your existing transport, that will be a problem, unless you have a logic analyzer that you can plug into your existing setup, or can find the datasheet for the controller chip.

--
Brian
Old 9th August 2004, 07:40 AM   #23
ZERS is offline ZERS  France
diyAudio Member

Hi BrianGT,

I'm in the process of designing the "supply sequencer" by using some transistors as switches.

The main issue is how to get negative voltage from the pic that could only provide 0 or +5V.

But for the DAC I'e got a negative voltage (-15V) that needs to be sequenced as well. Do you have an idea of ho to do this ?

Attached is a schematic to explain how using transistors as switches instead of relays.

Moreover, I need your background regarding the connectors you used to for the CDPRO.

While looking at the datasheet, I noticed that the connectors on its board are "JST" CMS types.

I bought a set of connectors with the CDPRO unit, but I got only connectors for the unit and not for the CI of the controller board.

What kind of connectors do you use for your contoller board ?
I found the JST types in EAGLE while routing the board but there are only CMS types.
I would be grateful if you help me in choosing the "female" connectors that has to be used on the board.

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: gif tran_sw.gif (2.1 KB, 2131 views)
Old 9th August 2004, 04:14 PM   #24
Rarkov is offline Rarkov  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rarkov Send a message via Skype™ to Rarkov
Hi,

Just to let you know, with APOX Controls' permission, I have started to rewrite the code to support the DSA protocol.

I'll let you know how it goes...
Gaz
Old 17th August 2004, 03:44 PM   #25
Coulomb is offline Coulomb  England
diyAudio Member

Brian what about a soft button power on function? The front panel would always be on, but in standby. At the touch of a button or the eject function currently included, the power could be switched on sequentially to any number of relays that would power up the drive and DACS and bring the front panel out of sleep mode.

Regards

Anthony
Old 17th August 2004, 04:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally posted by Coulomb
Brian what about a soft button power on function? The front panel would always be on, but in standby. At the touch of a button or the eject function currently included, the power could be switched on sequentially to any number of relays that would power up the drive and DACS and bring the front panel out of sleep mode.

Regards

Anthony
This wouldn't be too difficult to implement in conjunction with configuring the power supply to power up based on the microcontroller. You probably wouldn't even need to have a power switch on the unit, just a standby switch, which powers down everything except for the microcontroller.

I would rather see relays used for the power supply, rather than transistors. This would make life easier. A few control lines, or a serial IO expander could be used to control the relays. This would be a cleaner implementation. Relays aren't that expensive that it will be much of a worry.

--
Brian
Old 17th August 2004, 04:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally posted by Rarkov
Hi,

Just to let you know, with APOX Controls' permission, I have started to rewrite the code to support the DSA protocol.

I'll let you know how it goes...
Gaz
Sounds good. Dale send me the code a long time ago, but I never got around to looking at it. Their IR code seems to work good.

--
Brian
Old 17th August 2004, 06:58 PM   #28

If anyone is interested, I can get a run of control boards made for the cdpro2 project. I will get them made at my cost, and if we can get 10 people or so interested, they should be under $20 a set for a buttons control panel and main control board. I could include chips pre-programmed with the serial bootloader and cdpro2 code. This would allow for very easy updating of the code using a normal terminal software program.

I would like to see this project go somewhere, and keep it public domain.

Click the image to open in full size.
picture of the current control board, which is the same dimensions as the Optrex 2x20 pcb.

The Apox board could work good, but it is quite big and bulky.
size comparison: http://www.apoxcontrols.com/images/APOX-display.jpg

--
Brian
Old 17th August 2004, 08:43 PM   #29
batee is offline batee  United States
diyAudio Member

Where can I find a display like that? I see "Optrex", but there were several hundred hits on Digikey.

Looks like VFD, but schematic says LCD. Anyone have a part number or description of that technology?

Thanks,

Bryan
Old 18th August 2004, 04:12 AM   #30
tg3 is offline tg3  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianGT
If anyone is interested, I can get a run of control boards made for the cdpro2 project.
Most definitely interested.

Hide this!Advertise here!