CDPRO2 Group Project (open source project) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2004, 03:28 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default suggestion

How about provisions for a programmable stepper motor drive, to drive a hinged top cover? It could be provide a variable acceleration profile for the opening and closing sequences, to give a 'thudless' closing and opening, based on parameters like cover mass & CG, ect....

Or is this getting too silly & complex?
Old 2nd August 2004, 03:37 PM   #12
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Default Re: suggestion

Quote:
Originally posted by gilid
How about provisions for a programmable stepper motor drive, to drive a hinged top cover? It could be provide a variable acceleration profile for the opening and closing sequences, to give a 'thudless' closing and opening, based on parameters like cover mass & CG, ect....

Or is this getting too silly & complex?
Silly & Complex? Not at all! The control board has a bunch of extra pins, which could easily be used for controlling external devices. I actually want to make a module for controlling the ML cd lid that I bought a while back. It uses a linear actuator:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/cdpro2-lid

It would be best to dedicate control pins to a task like this, which would go to a daugherboard. The control could be done with remote, or the open/close button on the button pcb:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/cdpro...2_new_1?full=1

The button pcb can be customized easily, adding or subtracting buttons, since it is just a voltage dividier circuit, using the ADC. With the 10-bit ADC precision, 16 buttons could easily be handled by the one ADC pin without troubles with resolution. Circuit for button:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/cdpro...hematic?full=1

As for the power supply, this is a good idea also, which could be done with a daugherboard also, using a driver chip and relays.

--
Brian
Old 2nd August 2004, 05:24 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default lid drive system

Brian,

The linear actuator certainly looks cool....where did you get it? Any idea of the cost? I was considering a classical gear driven system, using a stepper motor.

What are the drive requirements of the linear device? Do you know how it works internally? ( the linear drives I have experience with are DC motor operated ballscrew actuators).
Old 2nd August 2004, 06:39 PM   #14
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Default Re: lid drive system

Quote:
Originally posted by gilid
Brian,

The linear actuator certainly looks cool....where did you get it? Any idea of the cost? I was considering a classical gear driven system, using a stepper motor.

What are the drive requirements of the linear device? Do you know how it works internally? ( the linear drives I have experience with are DC motor operated ballscrew actuators).
I bought it from a guy selling ML (Mark Levinson) stuff, and he only had 2 of them:
http://www.zenn.com.sg/mark_levinson_parts.htm

It just requires applying a voltage of 15v, and if you reverse the direction, it will go the opposite way. Here is a picture of the actuator label:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/cdpro...tronics?full=1

--
Brian
Old 2nd August 2004, 07:59 PM   #15
Coulomb is offline Coulomb  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As for the power supply, this is a good idea also, which could be done with a daugherboard also, using a driver chip and relays.
This is a very cool add on idea. As the power supplies are all coming on at the same time with the application of the AC power switch, I would only have to root the DC through the appropriate relay for power up and down sequencing. Would you be willing to build a couple of daughter boards and program a new PIC?

Regards

Anthony
Old 3rd August 2004, 11:15 AM   #16
ZERS is offline ZERS  France
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: suggestion

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianGT

--
Brian
I was previously thinking of adding these relays at the end of my PSU board (before the connectors).

But finding +5V relays is an issue....

You could find my board here (as well as the DAC) : (File PSUZERS.ZIP in french sorry..) :
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/v...4301&start=645
Old 3rd August 2004, 11:24 AM   #17
ZERS is offline ZERS  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Coulomb

Would you be willing to build a couple of daughter boards and program a new PIC?

Regards

Anthony
I think that connecting these relays straight to the PIC of the controller board will be OK (through a buffer like this one http://f5ad.free.fr/Docs_Composants/ULN2803.pdf) , without building a new board.
Old 3rd August 2004, 02:59 PM   #18
Rarkov is offline Rarkov  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rarkov Send a message via Skype™ to Rarkov
Brian,
I have been planning this for a while and your control board was a real boost to my Priority List!

I have the original control board but I do not like the VF display.
My plan is to buy another Apox front panel and modify the firmware to output DSA. However, it may be useful to have I2C for controlling any number of external modules, such as stepper motor drivers, remote links to various manufacturers, 12V links etc etc. It'd be easy to modify the board to control them. I have the Apox front panel firmware source code but I'm not sure how happy Dale etc would be if I handed it around.

Anyway, that's my plan - maybe its worth considering.

Good luck!
Gaz
Old 3rd August 2004, 11:52 PM   #19
sek is online now sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi there,

what a coincidence...

Yesterday evening, I've just taken apart my old CDP in order to gather all the information I need to come up with a new control and display board (there is a thread about it).

The drive contains a Philips CDM 12.1/15, a cheapish plastic transport which works excellently well with regard to copy protection and scratched discs!

The LSI controller is a Panasonic MN66271, featuring a two-wire interface, I haven't determined the protocol yet.

Chances are, this is an I2C interface (lines are clock and data with an additional load enable line)? If this is the case, I'm in to participate, as such an interface and display controller is all I need to be happy.

Again, what a coincidence!

Do you guys think that the interface protocols and command sets are compatible? There seems to be no documentation available...
Old 4th August 2004, 06:54 AM   #20
Rarkov is offline Rarkov  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rarkov Send a message via Skype™ to Rarkov
DSA and I2C are not compatible AFAIK, however, I2C is a standard, and should be easy to get working if it is indeed I2C. You would need a datasheet for that particular controller chip though.

Gaz

Hide this!Advertise here!