Is2 possible with this dac?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Recently I have discoverd the virtue of cheap upgrades. I have cleaned all my connectors, renewed some power chords, and guess what? Its noticible quite a lot! The sound has more air.. A lot more.

Now I was thinking of building a cable. A Is2 cable from my cd-pro2 to my dac, but is the even possible? Here is the scematic for my dac, its a Hawk audio dac.

What should I do to get the is2 working?

Attachments

• hawk-3e-schema2.jpg
    hawk-3e-schema2.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 391
First you need the datasheet for the dac which appears to be the CS4390. Having got that you need to compare the output format of the CD-Pro2 and the input format of the CS4390 and if necessary change the mode pins on the CS4390. If you want to switch between the CD-Pro2 output and the CS8412 output you may have to change the mode pins of the CS8412.

tnx for the post.

I thought it would be as easy as cutting some traces, and hooking it up.

But if the output of the cd pro is the same signal ( ? ) as the cs4290 accepts, then I can "just" hook up the is2 output to the imput receiver of my dac?

Digital just ain`t my thing, so plz; any more thing I should take care of?

btw I don`t have any good resize programs, I can`t get the gif below 300 kb, and make it better then my jpg.

I2S and Irfanview

wazzup said:
tnx for the post.
btw I don`t have any good resize programs, I can`t get the gif below 300 kb, and make it better then my jpg.
Hi,
Try www.irfanview.com
Open the image, click on image, then on resize/resample.
I you use the CD-PRO with I2S-output setting you can directly connect to the CS4390 chip if the latter is configured for I2S. See the datasheet of Crystal chip.:cool:

Ok so its possible :D

Just some noob questions: what do u mean by "is2 output setting" ? As I know the cd pro just has an output, and no uhhm switches or anything.

I will look into the crystal datasheet, to find out some more. When I fugue it out, I`ll post my findings to see if i`m doing it right.

Tnx Elso.

cd pro2 is2 output:

pin1 EF=====C2 error flag
pin2 SCLK===serial clock
pin3 WCLK===word clock
pin4 DATA===Data
pin5 GND====ground
pin6 V4=====Versatile output

Then the Receiver imput:

pin1 DEM0-------pin20 DIFo
pin2 DEM1-------pin19 DIF1
pin3 VA-----------pin18 AOUTL+
pin4 AGND-------pin17 AOUTL-
pin5 DGND-------pin16 MUTE L
pin6 VD-----------pin15 MUTE R
pin7 LRCK--------pin14 AOUTR+
pin8 MCLK--------pin13 AOUTR-
pin9 SCLK--------pin12 DIF2
pin10 SDATA------pin11 AUTO-MUTE

So I would connect from the cdpro :

pin 2 to pin 9 -SCLK to SCLK-
pin 4 to pin 10 DATA to SDATA
pin 5 to pin 5 GND to DGND

ANd thats it? Connect it and it works?

Btw what cable should I use for the connexion?

Aha I see that some new replies have been send!
Ignore my previous post -a bit :D - I wrote it last night, but just posted it 5 minutes ago.

Mmm do there are a lot of different DSA modus? I will look into that on daisy-laser.

I still haven`t figured out where the word clock goes into the dac chip.. First I`m gonne study all the replies a bit better.

Tnx again all.

till said:
The CD PRO2 could be told by a DSA command from the controller what format it should send to the I2S bus. There are 16 or so different formats it could send.

Mmm I have looked at all the cd-pro manuals, and I can`t seem to find any info HOW to make the controller -or external device- send to the cd-pro to go into that specific Is2 output. :whazzat:

Any ideas anyone?

http://www.daisy-laser.com/products/CD/modules/CDPro2/downloads.htm
--->
http://www.daisy-laser.com/products/CD/modules/CDPro2/P10501_dsa.pdf
----> page 31:

3.26 Set DAC mode (I2S output format)
This command sets the I2S output format. The command will be executed directly for the mode
selected previously by 'SET MODE' command, otherwise it will be saved internally.
command: Set DAC mode 70h / <I2S mode>
response command: DAC mode 70h / <I2S mode>
<I2S
mode>
I2S format mode
see SET MODE command
0 reserved
1 I2S - FS mode (default) DAC mode
2 I2S - 2 FS mode DAC mode
3 I2S - 4 FS mode DAC mode
4 Sony 16 bit FS DAC mode
5 Sony 16 bit 2 FS DAC mode
6 Sony 16 bit 4 FS DAC mode
7 Sony 18 bit FS DAC mode
8 Sony 18 bit 2 FS DAC mode
9 Sony 18 bit 4 FS DAC mode
81 I2S - CD-ROM mode CD-ROM mode
82 EIAJ CD-ROM mode CD-ROM mode

these should be the formats of data the transport could deliver on the I2S bus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.