Precision series resonancy crystal oscillator - The SJOSTROM KLOK - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2002, 04:25 PM   #1
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Precision series resonancy crystal oscillator - The SJOSTROM KLOK

Hi!

We talked about crystal oscillators to CD players. The best oscillators are those which uses series resonancy crystals. I have got requests about those. Here comes some design ideas.

LM317 as power supply for kwak-clock

Tips: Gain = 1.5 -10, lower is better but maybe the oscillator get hard to start.

Supply voltage 5-10 volts, not too much because of higher drive level of the crystal.

Transistors, BC5xx etc for <5 MHz, HF types above

Currents, a few mA's

Well stabilized power! Very important in order to get high stablity. Important also not to load the oscillator. An extra buffer in essential.

Careful: You must choose a crystal for the purpose!!!! You can't tune a parallel resonancy crystal all the way to series mode. You loose lots (almost everyting) of Q-factor and stability!!! Very important!!!!
Old 24th May 2002, 04:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default The schematic

Sorry, forgot to upload the file.

BTW: I called my project KLOK without a C! Just to create a personal touch.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sjostromklokf.zip (18.3 KB, 580 views)
Old 24th May 2002, 04:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Possible enhancement is to have variable gain and stabilized amplitude in order to get lower distortion and jitter.

You can also put the whole oscillator in an owen! Not very hard to fix. Search Linear Technology. They have very good examples of that.
Old 24th May 2002, 06:13 PM   #4
Banned

Default Time for a good old fashioned arms race!

Try this one out.

It also uses a series resonsant crystal, has low distortion, and comes with a low-noise regulator. Puts out 1.6 V p-p.

This is the first version, so more revisions are probably in the works.

It is easy to measure if a crystal is series or parallel resonant. If you need to order one, and the supplier doesn't know which one it is, find a different supplier.

Jocko
Attached Images
File Type: gif oscillator.gif (6.8 KB, 2017 views)
Old 24th May 2002, 07:10 PM   #5
Banned

Default Try this one out

Are all the BJTs 2240s? What kind of LED and what is the voltage out of the voltage regulator? I like it.....

H.H.
Old 24th May 2002, 07:19 PM   #6
Banned

1.) Yes.

2.) Cheap. Green.

3.) 12 V.

Are you sure? It uses BJTs, and not FETs.

Jocko
Old 25th May 2002, 03:56 PM   #7
CG is offline CG
diyAudio Member

Might it be better to:

a) run the LED string directly from the current source (that's the way it already is - just reviewing)

b) connect a 100 Ohm resistor (or maybe even some higher for a lower -3 dB point) from the top of the string to the base of the emitter follower

c) connect the 120 uF and other filtering capacitor to the base of the emitter follower?

The idea is that the LED string is a more or less low impedance (hence the reason for using it as a voltage reference). Bypassing this low impedance directly isn't really as effective as using an RC lowpass filter to get rid of noise. The voltage regulation under dynamic conditions shouldn't be affected.

Good? Bad?
Old 25th May 2002, 06:57 PM   #8
Banned

For a zener: yes. The noise with LEDs is low enough that RC filtering is not needed. It is there only for low impedance on the base, as the LED string is around 400 ohms.

Jocko
Old 25th May 2002, 11:50 PM   #9
CG is offline CG
diyAudio Member

Gotcha. For a 400 Ohm source, the resistor would be waste.

Have you ever measured the noise voltage density across an LED string? I'm curious how low it is.

Do you find blacking the LEDs out with goop of some kind, or otherwise shielding them from light, lowers the noise? (LEDs - and semiconductor lasers - also exhibit photoelectric effects, although they aren't real efficient.)
Old 26th May 2002, 12:02 AM   #10
Banned

I have only measured it on a RTA, not a wide-band spectrum analyzer, but is low. Very low. Also, the 'lytic cap is there to reduce any ripple that might be on the base, as that will modulate the oscillator. Which is why the whole thing is fed from a current source.

Jocko

Hide this!Advertise here!