TDA1541A PCB finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all,

I pay over two months already & now the PCBs was finished already.

Hope DIYer will like it.

I use the higher standard to build this PCB.

More information for this kit,

TDA1541A Board,
(1)contains 2 x TDA1541A, all power supply use TL431 as regulator and OS-CON cap.
(2) Both side copper plate cover for lower noise
(3) May add re-clock ckt

Tube buffer
(1) can use 6dj8 SRPP or 6c45 RC couple, can modify to using transformer couple output.
(2) use 6x4 tube rectifier, no semiconductor regulator for high volt supply

AD844 board
(1)also use TL431 as regulator
(2) can stack the board on TDA1541A board.

PCB is FR4, 2mm thick, OFC copper with 24K gold plating.

(3) Use High speed computor display card or coming DDR2 monther board graphite enclosure material. U will see this material in the coming i925X(intel chips) mother board. This material can lower the digital noise during high speed.

(4) Distance between HV,Signal path & ground area had 2mm width. This can prevent the spare bwtween the HV & ground area. Also, this OFC PCB is 2MM thickness had enough mechanical support with over 1mm OFC copper foil thickness. So the signal will run very smooth.

(5) All the hole in this monther board was 1~1.3mm diameter.
Very easy to fit size lead out tips resisters & capacitors. Then will easy to DIY.

Will post some components photo later ( ELNA cap, OS-con cap, Panasonic Puresium cap, Dale,CGW, large watt non-inductive IRC resistors......)

Hope every diyer will like it.

For more detail or advise pls email to me.

thomas@diyaudiocraft.com

Very thanks

Attachments

• ·Ó¤ù 015.jpg
    ·Ó¤ù 015.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,779
Tda1541a non-o/s DAC PCB

More photos of this NON-O/S PCB.

Every set will contain two B5 size ( 1541a & Tube output stage, buffer or one step output stage) & one Cheque book size AD844 Op-amp.

Will post some components photo later ( ELNA cap, OS-con cap, Panasonic Puresium cap, Dale,CGW, large watt non-inductive IRC resistors......)

thanks

thomas

Attachments

• ·Ó¤ù 014.jpg
    ·Ó¤ù 014.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,421
Tda1541a non-o/s DAC PCB

Dear peranders,

this PCB is PCB is FR4 grade , 2mm thick, OFC copper with 24K gold plating. Can solder many times but the copper foils will not damage.

If U know that this factory also OEM Japan Accuphase audio PCB U will know the standard of this PCB factory.

[This PCB is not Produce in China, its produce by Taiwan computor mother board & display card Factory.

thanks

thomas

Tda1541a non-o/s DAC PCB

dear peranders,

24K gold to make sure the surface of the signal path is very smooth for digital signal running with high fidelity result.
I think if U are me, U will same to choose this type method method to collect the better result.

why we diy? Because negotiation was exist in our heart.
So............... we need the Best, me toooooooo!

For the thickness of PCB.

Normal PCb is 1.6mm.

FR4 grade OFC audio PCB is 2.0mm to increase the mechnical strength to lower the vibration of the parts. This PCb is high density PCB.

I test a very interest for this PCB.

this is the test print of A board already. I use it to pass the lead out & test the performance of the parts. The last I added the Panasonic pureism ( audio grade with OFc lead out) caps into it.
This 50V 10uf in power supply area is very good.
Digital area use OS-con can get smooth sound. Elna-non polar is clear. Blackgate is very clear sound but I did not like it. The sound which use blackgate had the image of up-sampling DAC sound. Lost the good smell of NON-O/S detail.

Pls look my test print, the outlook of A board was be same as this one.

thanks

thomas

Attachments

• f8d2.jpg
    f8d2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,415
Re: Tda1541a non-o/s DAC PCB

siu sin man tho said:
FR4 grade OFC audio PCB is 2.0mm to increase the mechnical strength to lower the vibration of the parts. This PCb is high density PCB.
At work we have made (only once!) a 2 mm pcb and this was for a backplane and the copper was 95 um thick. This board felt very "heavy duty" if you know what I mean. I nice feeling to hold it :nod:

I know quite many like the old 1541 DAC but how about using a top-of-the-line DAC?

Tda1541a non-o/s DAC PCB

dear peranders ,

I made a long distance call to the taiwan factory already. But now the time is 1900hrs already. The enginneer is off duty already.
We call this PCB is 2.2oz copper PCB. Standard is 2oz. So this PCB is 10% more thickness of the standard thickness. The thickness of the PCB is al least 95um than U previous made.
I choose this thickness 2.2oz because I can seperate the distance between the signal path & the ground, HV area in 2mm width to prevent the HV spark. Due to increase the thickness of the copper foil. So can increase the width between the signal path & others area still can gurantee enough signal pass the foil.

This is my opinion.

Pls see the close up of the HV & the signal path, ground area. All 2mm thickness with gold plate. The graphite enclose material is very smooth.
pls see.

thanks

thomas

Attachments

• ·Ó¤ù 019.jpg
    ·Ó¤ù 019.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,256
Tda1541a non-o/s DAC PCB

Dear peranders ,

My photo taking skillful is bad.

The photos cannot reflect the real & detail of the PCB.

I know U are the moderator of this forum.
I trust that all the moderator & member of diyaudio.com is reliable person.

would U care email your address to me. I will post one set for U in your hand to see how great of this set PCB.

If U did not like this PCB. U post me back is OK.

if yes, pls email your detail to me.

thomas@diyaudiocraft.com.

thanks

thomas

Re: Re: Tda1541a non-o/s DAC PCB

Konnichiwa,

peranders said:
I know quite many like the old 1541 DAC but how about using a top-of-the-line DAC?

Hmmm. Most current "top of the line" DAC's perform much worse than the TDA1541 applied well, in objective terms as well as subjective. In addition, most of these come with a Digital Filter on board and are Delta Sigma types, more or less disqualifying them from serious audio.

That does not leave much and the TDA1541 has a rather singular type of sound, not matched by anything else, for CD only replay.

Sayonara

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tda1541a non-o/s DAC PCB

Konnichiwa,

peranders said:

REALLy.

peranders said:
I wonder why so few knows about it?

Long discontinued chip. It was too expensive to make, uneconomical.

peranders said:
Why do we want SACD and 24/96 quality when 1541 is good enough? You don't have to answer....

I have to answer, as you choose not to read my post:

"the TDA1541 has a rather singular type of sound, not matched by anything else, for CD only replay."

SACD is of no concern to me (it does not deliver to my ears a SIGNIFICANT improvement over CD anyway, it is more of the same - if you liked CD you will like SACD, if not, you won't), 24/96 is very much of interest but ther eis no software and all my music not on LP is on CD.

So to me the new formats over ther ein cloud cookoo land are irelevant, as they are a mixture of vapor ware (24/96 & 24/192 recordings) and average stuff crippled by either format or recording/editing process (SACD - what I have heard of it anyway).

Hence my concern about CD REPLAY. And no, non of the modern "hi-bit" DAC's I have heard so far sounds particulary good with CD. A Hi-Bit ADC-DAC chain is usually very neutral (insertion is hard to tell even non-blind) but the sound with CD is usually poor to awful, indicating a fundamental issue with the CD format.

Sayonara

I respect your views but my ears aren't that sensitive I suppose.

I think my own DAC TOSLINK, CS8412, CS4328 is splendid despite the awful fiber connection and high jitter reciever. :)

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-50719/hifi/dac

May I ask what singular sound is?

Thomas, is this the asian style of humbleness? If everyone were so polite as you are (listen up a certain one!)! Anyway since I work all day with pcb's I see that you skills are very good, just by looks at least. Your pcb's looks really professional, more professional than some I have have seen! It's really hard to judge how good the patterns is because this is the most difficult task especially if you mix digital and analog ciruits but I'll suspect that your pcb's meet the looks in this respect.

Have you done any amps? ... maybe a Gainclone :D

Konnichiwa,

peranders said:
I respect your views but my ears aren't that sensitive I suppose.

I think my own DAC TOSLINK, CS8412, CS4328 is splendid despite the awful fiber connection and high jitter reciever. :)

The CS4328 is actually one of the better DS DAC's, though it's DF is non too hot. Still, I agree, it sounds rather uncommonly good with CD, though by far not like the TDA1541 and in most ways providing a rather polar opposite type of sound with CD sources.

peranders said:
May I ask what singular sound is?

Webster's 1913 Dictionary
Sin´gu`lar Pronunciation: sĭò´gũ`lẽr

Separate or apart from others; single; distinct.

Sound

to make an impulse of the air that shall strike the organs of hearing with a perceptible effect.

Thus singular sound is a "impulse of the air that shall strike the organs of hearing with a perceptible effect" which is "Separate or apart from others; single; distinct".

I hope this helps.

Sayonara

I agree, Kuei.
The TDA1541 has a kind of dynamics and character only available on ultra-expensive vinyl.
By comparison, everything else seams too polite.

SACD doesn't really say anything to me, from what I've heard.
Typical 1-bit sound, too polite and smooth, a sleep-inducing experience.
DVD-A is potencially good but they mucked all the format with afterthoughts like the copy-protection they use. And mixing 5.1 channels to two for stereo doesn't really appeal me.
What a mess...:bawling:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tda1541a non-o/s DAC PCB

peranders said:
Really? I wonder why so few knows about it? Why do we want SACD and 24/96 quality when 1541 is good enough? You don't have to answer....

KYW is just stating his preferences. There is no reason you or anybody else should agree with his peculiar tastes in sound. My experience with his “High End” FFRC and “State of the Art” UBYTE-2 speaker cables tells me he doesn’t hear things the way I do. I always take KYW’s recommendations as a negative.

Regarding the TDA1541: Some people like it, and others don’t. Srajan Ebean wrote a rave review of the Zanden DAC on 6moons.com. Yamada-san was so impressed he let Srajan keep the DAC. The funny thing is, Srajan doesn’t really listen to the Zanden because he inserts an Ortho Spectrum AR-2000 in the signal path between the DAC and the pre-amp. Why? He says the Zanden is too polite, no dynamics. The AR-2000 makes the sound more aggressive, which he likes.

Not long ago I had a chance to hear Srajan’s audio system: I wanted his “professional audio reviewer” opinion on my litz-wire speaker cables. I thought the Zanden, alone, sounded sweet and delicate; very feminine, even emasculated or castrated. I could see why Srajan needed to “pump it up.” The AR-2000 contains filters and optical couplers to “remove all traces of contamination from the harsh digital environment” of the DAC. To my ears, it adds the distortion and phase shifts that are the hallmark of bad digital. In other words, it put back everything the Zanden’s notch filters took out. Go figger.

The moral of the story is: Don’t take anyone’s recommendation until you hear their audio system.

The Zanden is NOS.
Non-oversamplig dacs sound very muted in the midband and (specially) in the treble.
I don't know circuit of the Zanden, but if any measure was taken to compensate for the (unavoidable) treble roll-off, it will sound a little too sweet and shut-in indeed.
But even if it was compensated, it may have been to the designer's taste or system.
There are many ways of using this Dac.
The unique thing I find in this dac is a dynamics in the bass, the scale of the bass notes that really seams good analog, the real thing.
Lack of dynamics is definitely not the problem of this chip.
There must be something else on that Zanden.
Midband and treble are excellent too, in level with the best.

When I compare my dac with commercial products, they seam undynamic, no scale, not the real thing.
The only dacs that get near to the TDA1541 are multi-bit too.
And they are all gradually disappearing from the map.
My taste, my oppinion, of course.

:2c:

Konnichiwa,

carlosfm said:
Lack of dynamics is definitely not the problem of this chip.
There must be something else on that Zanden.
Midband and treble are excellent too, in level with the best.

Carlos, you must remember that many audiophiles actually hear "good dynamics" if they have a lot of compression taking place. Compression makes the sound dense, punchy and "interesting", in exactly the way live music (unless heavily compressed and electronically amplified) is not.

So one persons "good dynamics" is anothers "compressed to nearly 1 bit dynamic range".

But I agree very much with jbokelman, "Don’t take anyone’s recommendation until you hear their audio system.".

Someone elses comments on what my (then) system sounded like, but a good description of what I aim at with any audio system I have is this:

"I was amazed to hear how loud Thorsten's system can play without any hint of compression or distortion or fatigue. It is breathing so effortlessly even during the most dynamic and challenging passages. The bass control was excellent. The sound was detailed and natural. Consequently the system excelled particularly on orchestral music. "

Oh yes, the DAC used then was Philips LHH-1000 (nee Marantz DA-12 with Philips TDA-1541 double crown) and the auditioning was with CD....

Sayonara

Status
Not open for further replies.