DIY clock for recording interface

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, I have a MOTU 1224 recording interface. The clock is the weak point of the unit. I'd like to upgrade it somehow.
The simplest way is to use the BNC Wordclock In connecter and buy and external clock, but it's pretty expensive for a good clock. I want to DIY.

This is more complicated than upgrading a clock on the CD Player because I need to sync the whole unit to it (8 ADC's, 10 DAC's, digital ins and outs, sync with the host PCI card), so I can't just plug it into the DAC clock input.

I need both 44.1Khz and 48Khz functionality.

Currently the unit is clocked internally by a 12.288Mhz crystal and a Cypress CY2081 PLL chip. This is the obvious DIY upgrade, as the PLL chip is now obsolete and has been superceded by a pin-compatable version claiming 70% less period jitter and 30% less long-term jitter. Unfortunately, the chip is PROGRAMMABLE and is currently factory pre-programmed to code 614... the new version can only be ordered factory pre-programmed if you're buying massive quantities.

What are my options here? Ideally I'd like to take something like the Kwak Clock, add a dedicated power supply, and modify it to send a switchable BNC Wordclock output. But first of all, I have no idea how to do this or if it is even possible. And secondly, I'm not sure whether or not it would be useless anyway, considering the PLL chip in the MOTU would still be the same.

And ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.