WM8816 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I'm a little bit confused, in WM8816 datasheet it says that AVDD & DVDD pins must be tied together in all designs because damage can be caused if supply voltages differ to any degree.

But in WM8816 Ev. board datasheet they have one 7805 for each AVDD & DVDD.

Whats the way to go? Split groundplane and split AVDD & DVDD or split groundplane and use the same supply for AVDD & DVDD.

This is my first pcb layout ever so plz let me hear your opinion.
Just wanna know if its totaly wrong and so on.

The traces for the controller is'nt there yet...

Layout & Top and Bottom Eagle 3D files (warning BIG .bmp files)

/Thanks in advance

I have had communication with Wolfson recently on this point and they tell me that the recommendations in the datasheet are recommended over what is suggested in the eval design. . Apparently, their advice these days is that the supplies (AVDD and DVDD) DEFINITLY need to be tied together from the same supply. Their communication was as follows:

"We would strongly advise that the AVDD and DVDD power supplies are connected to the same supply. There is a slight inconsistency between the schematic in the Evaluation Manual and the datasheet as the schematic is based upon the evaluation board, which has separate regulators with power supplies taken from the same input terminal, while the datasheet is more recent and amended much more regularly.

All applications advice should be taken from the datasheet while the schematic should only be used for layout ideas only, it is not really meant as an absolute reference design. There is no plan to change the Evaluation Board design. Running from the same supplies will not have an affect on performance. I hope this will not cause you any inconvenience.
"

I hope this helps some of you guys out there experimenting with this device.

Robin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.