Denon dcd-3560

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Doh!

So I dug my Denon DCD-3560 out from my parents garage. Hooked it up and while it powers on like normal - the CD tray doesn't OPEN. I opened the top of it and I can hear the motor spin, but the tray doesn't budge. I am tempted to start tinkering - but I love this CD player, and I don't want this to break it beyond the point of any repair.

Is this a common problem and has anyone found an easy/simple/cheap fix? And also since it's the first time I have opened this CD player - it's one of the nicest looking chassis I have seen.

Thanks for any help and/or ideas!

Denon DCD 3560!? This old player can be modified into a absolute top-of-the-line killer!! Years ago I was planning to uppgrade CD-ålayer, but like you I kind of liked the old Denon so I started to "play" with it just to see..;)

First thing I did was to get a copy of the service-manual. In this player (like in mod. S-1) Denon has used four converters; two for each side in push-pull. Since my amps are balanced I tryed to catch a balanced signal right from the source by bypassing the analog-section completely. after some experimenting I found it, and the improvement was shocking!

What i did was taking out the signal from leg no.7 on the first op-amps after the converters, named IC-509/511(-/+left) and IC-609/611(-/+right). To get a single/unbalanced signal, just put 511/611 into the RCA-centers. this will also give a big improvement, but not like feeding all converters into a balanced amp/pre.

Later I uppgraded the analog trafo with a biig one (mounted outside on the back) and added a digital clock from LC-Audio (Denmark) - both great uppgrades.

Digital-trafo is another uppgrade, and replacing the internal powercables with solid-core from power-card to analog-card.

BUT; be careful; the player is old and most likely cannot be repaired:bigeyes:

Is there no risk with this? Can any preamp take a signal that is not low pass filtered? And is there a DC offset that should be taken into account?

Most DCD3560 mods talk about -
1. Replacing the IC509-11/609-11 with NE5532AP/N or NE5534AP/N
(R636, 637, 537, 538 from 10K to 6,8K and R641, 542 from 2,2K to 2,7K and C529, 629 to be removed in case NE5534, that also requires some repositioning of the legs).
2. Replacing the Low Pass Filter IC513/613 with SSM2139.
3. Bypassing the DC offset blocking capacitor C542/642.

Is your mod (which is a lot more simple) a better one (better sound) or just more simple and easy to perform?

There is a belt that runs the tray. it has most likley stretched and is slipping or had broken entirely.

There is a small hole in the front that use can use a straightend paper clip to get the door open. the belt, if i remember correctly is under the tray, near the front. you might be able to see it once you get the tray open.

I remember replacing one of these. it was hard to do, but i remember using some dental picks and i managed to fix it without openeing the chassis.

This was on my 1560 but is very similar.

Zero

Davs!

Two things; all ordinary stereo-equipment is DC-filtered, a filter on the (power-) amp is enough, everythging else is overkill. to be shure; watch your woofers when you turn on the system 8with a bypassed Denon) too see if they moves in/out=DC. if not; it`s OK.

- and this mod is not just a small improvement; you won`t belive it `til you hear it play!!

btw; I know of a few other tricks too, ìf you`re hangin` on..!

(if I`m not answering; email me!)

Test Pilot said:
Denon DCD 3560!? This old player can be modified into a absolute top-of-the-line killer!! Years ago I was planning to uppgrade CD-ålayer, but like you I kind of liked the old Denon so I started to "play" with it just to see..;)

First thing I did was to get a copy of the service-manual. In this player (like in mod. S-1) Denon has used four converters; two for each side in push-pull. Since my amps are balanced I tryed to catch a balanced signal right from the source by bypassing the analog-section completely. after some experimenting I found it, and the improvement was shocking!

What i did was taking out the signal from leg no.7 on the first op-amps after the converters, named IC-509/511(-/+left) and IC-609/611(-/+right). To get a single/unbalanced signal, just put 511/611 into the RCA-centers. this will also give a big improvement, but not like feeding all converters into a balanced amp/pre.

Later I uppgraded the analog trafo with a biig one (mounted outside on the back) and added a digital clock from LC-Audio (Denmark) - both great uppgrades.

Digital-trafo is another uppgrade, and replacing the internal powercables with solid-core from power-card to analog-card.

BUT; be careful; the player is old and most likely cannot be repaired:bigeyes:

I tried during the weekend to mount the LC-Audio clock LClock XO3. No sound came out! The CDs spin up fine and all the errors that LC say can occur if the clock is not mounted (Wired) correctly were not there.
I thought it was because of problems with the separate psu for the clock so I took the power from C506 on the digital PCB as recommended by LCAudio, Still same problem!
Back to the separate psu and then I tried to solder the 3,3V/5V bubble on the clock PCB, and there was sound!

What was your experience when you mounted the clock?

Regards
Klitgt

Hi
I am new to group. I have problem as cd tray of Denon 3560 can not open. When I opened top and side cover, there is clamper arm holding cd that I can push tray out. Is there manual safe way to remove clamper out cd so I can replace the 2 closed/open belts for tray.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.