Red book CD-copies - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2004, 03:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Red book CD-copies

Hello,

As you might know the Sony SACD XB940 will not play CD-copies,
only original CD' s according to the Red book code. I wonder if there is a way out here.
CD-copies do not seem to be according to this red book, I understand. Now a software programma like FX Magic Music claims the feature to burn CD' s that obey the Red book.
Do you have experience with making CD-copies with a Red book profile?

Best regards, Arjen.
Old 30th July 2004, 08:59 AM   #2
rbroer is offline rbroer  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hello Arjen,
BTW, are you THE Arjen ?

Your SACD XB940 might just be unable to deal with the physical CD-R...something to do with reflective layers.

My mate has a Sony SACD DVD 9000ES that doesn't play CD-R's.

But when he burns on CD-RW's they just play fine. You might want to give that a try and tell us your results.

I had a Samsung DVD-709 once, that only played certain types of CD-R's, but even then reading the TOC and tracking were slow and unreliable.
Old 30th July 2004, 04:36 PM   #3
pburke is offline pburke  Germany
diyAudio Member

many CD players dislike CD-R's written at high speeds. Try buring the CDs at the lowest speed your burner offers and try again. This may be the easiest solution.

if that doesn't work, try a different type of media. For software - most decent burning apps should be able to write a true redbook CD, so I doubt that's where the problem starts, especially if the CD works in other players. My own Cambridge Audio D500 doesn't read any CDs written faster than about 4X

Peter
Old 16th November 2004, 07:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The SACD XB940 is simply protected against the playing of CDRs. As you can check the unit reads TOC but holds after that. Just remember the fact that Sony started a crusade against copying of cds but eventually gave up fighting. The 940 is from just before that time....

A software "feature" so to speak. It reads CDRW perfectly ( which reflect only 25 % compared to CD ) so that can't be the problem.
Old 16th November 2004, 07:53 PM   #5
air is offline air  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to air Send a message via MSN to air
jean-paul: Do you happen to know if this is also the way dvp-9000es is programmed? It might well be a "feature" since the manual says that it is not able to play cd-rom.
Old 16th November 2004, 09:14 PM   #6

Possibly but CD-ROM is something different from CDR( ecordable ).
Old 16th November 2004, 09:43 PM   #7
Banned

I have a friend that had an SCD-XA333ES, same problem.
Didn't read most CDRs, but CDRWs were fine.
And he recorded the CDRs on a Pioneer CD home recorder, at 1x speed.
The problem is, he had problems with some originals too!
Because of that:

1. he sent the player to the distributor where he bought it, and it was sent to Sony.

The player always came with the same problem, didn't read some originals, and he repeated step 1. some 3 or four times.
Each time the player went to Sony it was more than 1 month to come back.
He sent the original (very recent, not copy protected, plain Red Book) CDs for Sony, so that they could test.
Sony even changed all the mechanics, but no do.
In the end, Sony gave him the money back, they knew this was a piece of junk, no solution.
This was after a Sony proposal to offer him a new SCD-XA3000ES, as the 333 was already discontinued.
He didn't accept, money it is, Sony never more.
Those generations of Sony SACD players (including the 940, and also the SCD-1, I've heard reports) are very problematic.
Old 16th November 2004, 10:43 PM   #8
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
Cool Stick to the CDP-X###ES series

and forget about the CDP-XA / CDP-XB....

Arne K
Old 17th November 2004, 10:40 AM   #9

How true, I regret selling my CDP-X3000ES.

Wonderful mechanism and although 1 bit technology good sounding and built well with high grade parts.
Old 17th November 2004, 01:56 PM   #10
macboy is offline macboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The SACD XB940 is simply protected against the playing of CDRs. As you can check the unit reads TOC but holds after that. Just remember the fact that Sony started a crusade against copying of cds but eventually gave up fighting. The 940 is from just before that time....

A software "feature" so to speak. It reads CDRW perfectly ( which reflect only 25 % compared to CD ) so that can't be the problem.
Yes, it can be the problem. The XB940 is a SACD player, and since SACD media is the same (physically) as DVD media, the player's optics are designed to read DVDs. Regular CDs are fine too because their aluminum reflective layer reflects all wavelengths. CD-R's pose a significant problem to DVD players, and many early DVD players were not capable of playing CD-Rs. The problem is with the dye used for CD-Rs. The dye must be designed to absorb some light (so you can burn the CD) and allow some light to pass through (and be reflected back) for playback. The dye is optimised for the 780 nm wavelength specified for CD lasers, and it absorbs too much of the light from the DVD drive's shorter-wavelength 640 nm laser. CD-RW uses a very different type of dye which reflects much more of a DVD laser's light, which is why CD-RWs often play in DVD players which can't play CD-Rs.

All Sony DVD players have two lasers: one for CD and one for DVD. This eliminates the problem with reading CD-Rs. The XB940 however does not seem to have this two laser system.

Hide this!Advertise here!