cmos inverter speed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2004, 12:40 AM   #1
Banned

Default cmos inverter speed

question:

using a 74HC04 for inverting a signal line should make a delay of about 6ns as datasheet tells.

If i make a cmos pair inverter from BS170/BS250, how fast will this be? how do i find how fast it is? measure some way or caslculate.

Are there better transistors i should try instead of these?
Old 20th June 2004, 01:02 AM   #2
Banned

Default Re: cmos inverter speed

Quote:
Originally posted by till
using a 74HC04 for inverting a signal line should make a delay of about 6ns as datasheet tells.
I think the HC04 propagation delay, under normal conditions, is more like 10ns. Why don't you just use faster logic?
Old 20th June 2004, 11:45 AM   #3
Banned

74HC04 was the fastest i found on first look at Reichelt, and it says 6ns at 5V.

As i only need one inverter and donīt like all those unused pins i would prefer to use discrete inverter. Whats against building it from 2 Fets? How to build it discret for beeing fast?
Old 20th June 2004, 02:20 PM   #4
Banned

Make your own inverter out of FETs, if you like. If I wanted a single, fast inverter without the baggage of a DIP, I'd look at a pico-gate, like the 74V1GU04. Its prop delay is 3.5ns @ 5v.
Old 20th June 2004, 06:49 PM   #5
Banned

I allready made it, and i like it more than having loads of unused inverters on my board. What i want to know is how to obtain some information about the discrete inverters performance, and if there are better transistors for this purpose than BS170/BS250.

Picogates and faster ICs are no solution as long as my supplyers donīt stock them and they are not avaiable, not even as sample.
Old 20th June 2004, 08:22 PM   #6
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Lightbulb One Gate

Hello Till,
Fairchild and Onsemi can send you one inverter per package as a sample. The latter will cost you US$ 14.99.

BTW my mail through the forum did not reach you as your server apparently did not accept it:
"The recipient does not accept mails from 'hotmail.com' over foreign mailservers".

ELSO/
Old 21st June 2004, 02:51 AM   #7
Banned

Default OK......why the concern over delay time????

BTW..........you know someone who has a handful of picogates........

Jocko

Hide this!Advertise here!