Need some help from Philips experts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!:)

I finaly came around to test my philips cd 820 with a new clock and a internal nos I2S direct dac based on feddes nonoz3 dac.

I have removed the saa7220 filter, and added the tent clock to the solder pad where the Xsys pin of the filter used to be, and stole the I2S signal from where pin 1,2 and 3 of the filter used to be.

The clock is for now powered from a 9V battery, and the dac is powered from a 12 V 7,2Ah battery.

First: The sound is brilliant!:D I have only listened to it for a couple of hours, and I have some BlackGates in there that probably need some burn in, but still it sounds wonderful!

But I ran in to some trouble:bawling:

When I pause the player it does not get silent, but act exactly like when you have a big scratch on your cd that your player can`t get by.

When I change the track it seems like it fast forward the last few seconds of the last track before it changes to the track I have chosen.

And once when I tried pausing and skipping at once I got an error message, I think is was "P 02".

And last, in the middle of my listening session the remote control suddenly stopped working!!:(
It is not the remote that is causing the problem (I have a spare Marantz cd40 and this remote didn`t work either.)

Anybody who have any suggestion on what is causing theese problems?

Do the removing of the saa7220 have something to do with it? I thought it was just a digital filter and nothing more.........

I tried adding a 1M resistor between the X-in an Xout pins on the saa7310 decoder because Jean-Paul told me in another threat that he had experienced strange behaviour going without such an resistor, this didn`t help.

I have not done any other things to the player, exept changing the decoupling cap for the decoder to a BlackGate Nx.

Hope somebody can help me out!

Regards :)

Tor Martin

Re: "Philips Expert"

Offtopic - solid core wires :(

Elso Kwak said:
You probably broke one of these stiff single core wires those idiots at Philips were using back in time.

Add idiots @ Bang & Olufsen & lots others to this bunch :D Seriously, if you think of tinkering around with a piece of vintage gear the first thing to do is replace all those crummy wires.

Hi!:)

Thanks for answering!

I have read about this muting trick before, but ofcourse I had forgotten all about it!:xeye:
This is probably the solution:)

This will be pin 18 of the smd saa7310, the mute pin.

Elso, the solidcore wire you are talking about is the connection between the display/control pcb to the main pcb, the remotecontrol signals?

Thank you very much!:)

Tor Martin

Re: Seems like you have your answer.....

Thanks for answers!

I hope I got time to look in to it today.:)

Jocko Homo said:

Muting.......

Digital output..........

Clock generation.........

All can be worked around, one way or another.

Jocko

Hi Jocko

I forgot about the muting, the other two I knew about. I`m feeding the digital filter directly with a clocksignal from a tent XO, the digital output I don`t need at the moment........

Have a nice weekend, everyone!:) :)

Tor Martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.