Non-Oversampling DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having run out of capacitors and since the ones from Farnell come in about an week I thought of taking some pics;

The PCB and the receiver/DAC is bought from here: http://www.rockna-line.com/diy/dac/dac.htm , and if anyone could answer this thread I would be eternally grateful!

And yes, dog hair and other dirt may get onto your PCB and mix with flux residue to form a nice combo if you're not careful :D

Attachments

• non_os_1.jpg
    non_os_1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,237
I think the separate I/V stage is for existing CDPs/DACs (owner told me it's supposed to sound better than an opamp based one but I cannot comment on that as I did not want to rip apart my Marantz CD-94 to try that :smash: )... the DAC PCB I have includes the I/V stage.

Well, I heard it about two weeks ago in the owner's system (Rockna preamp & monoblock amps, Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII, AudioQuest interconnects & speaker cables) and it sounded very nice (fast/detailed without being harsh and with well defined bass&midrange; maybe a a tad bit laid back in the upper treble range compared to what I'm used to but this is OK, vocals/instrument separation seemed more 'real' than in my system (Marantz CD94/passive atenuator/Randy Slone's OPTIMOS 200W monoblock amps/ Infinity RS II open baffle speakers). Too many different variables between the systems to draw a conclusion :(

I'll check how it fares against my Marantz CD94 next week :D

Well, it's alive and kickin! Was in a hurry so for now some resistors are made up by two other values in series...

Using a Marantz CD94 as a transport the sound is great! I really think it outperforms the Marantz' analog out and that's not in a subtle manner. I won't comment with traditional "fuzzylicious bass, buttery mids or sweet and tender highs" terms :D

Attachments

• non_os_4.jpg
    non_os_4.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 694
Took some measurements for fun using a M-Audio Revolution PC soundcard, these seem almost too good to be true, except for the frequency response - non-OS DAC though; also, the freq test is limited to 44.1/2kHz so I couldn't catch any digital images due to non-os...

Of course, this particular soundcard's line in is not the best in the league so the DAC's standalone performance should be better (if that's possible)...

Attachments

• dac rmaa measurements.zip
    44.1 KB · Views: 142
lucpes said:
Took some measurements for fun using a M-Audio Revolution PC soundcard, these seem almost too good to be true, except for the frequency response - non-OS DAC though; also, the freq test is limited to 44.1/2kHz so I couldn't catch any digital images due to non-os...

Of course, this particular soundcard's line in is not the best in the league so the DAC's standalone performance should be better (if that's possible)...

The AD1892 will impose a digital brickwall filter even when
resampling at 1:1, such is the nature of how ASRC's work.

The idea of 0 x OS is to get rid of brickwall filter.

Cheers,

Terry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.