Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2004, 06:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Nos Tda1543 Dac.

Built my TDA1543 prototype DAC last night following NONOZIII design as close as possible: http://jwg.student.utwente.nl/fedde/images/nonoz3.gif
All the Black Gates are in place for power, decoupling and I/V, BC caps instead of Wima, Riken resistors for I/V and Vishay/Dale for the rest. Need some burn-in time, but sounds pretty good fresh from the oven

Couldn't find the CS8412, so I soldered CS8414 instead using BrownDog adapter and it works great!

After fixing a couple of issues it worked great for the first time. Overall, very impressed with the sound. It's smooth and very comfortable to listen to, though the bass is a bit weaker than my portable line-out and more natural, rather than artificially-sounding. It sounds unusual at first, but after a while, you start to like it. I haven't tried more than one chip in parallel, but the dynamics and image is there and more than enough to feed my custom-built PPA amp.

The phase is inverted, of course, and it's noticable when listening to recordings which are very familiar, something's not like before...

Anyone can suggest a passive I/V circiut which inverts the phase? I heard about Chibi(or Chibishev) mod, I think, Scott uses it for his DacKit. Yet, cannot find the specs for it.

Using active I/V with opamps would fix the phase problem, but I plan to drive the DAC from the PPA power supply and don't want to put extra load on the batteries. DAC per se sinks about 80mA of current. Plus it would degrade the sound a bit with opamps. I like to keep it simple.

Would using re-clocking like Doede design improve the CS8414 jitter or anything?

Any other suggestions regarding TDA1543-based DAC?

Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!