TDA1543 nos dac question...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With applications using passive IV conversion, I see that a resistor to ground is used after the output caps.
I use 47K with mine,but note that some people use 100k and
also 1 meg.
And I have read some people do not use one at all.

With the fear of sounding stoopid:xeye: , what is the purpose
of this resistor?

Cheers

Setmenu

if the cap is a good quality film cap without any resistance, the not connected output is isolated from GDN for DC. You could store some charge DC in the cap and at the moment you connect it to an (of corse turned on, full volume) amplifier, this charge would cause the amp giving a really loud sound POP out of you speakers. People usually don´t like this "pop" sounds or fear it may damage speakers, so they use resistors.

i would prefer the resistor at the output of the DAC. If you put a lot of charge / from electostatic voltage, plastic carpet etc. on the cap the 1meg at the amps input will reduce the pop a little, but probably not enough. If you have the 1 meg at the DAC side, the higher value will only cause it needs a second more to bleed out the charge from cap than with a smaller R. (i would use 100k or so)

Hi Till
The reason for wanting to remove the resistor is that the dac and
amp will be hard wired together inside a Small enclosure, with the
idea of running everything from a single battery pack.[assuming no
terrible sonic penalties of having shared supplies]
As the amp section is referenced to a virtual ground, I felt it
a good idea to remove the resistors that would otherwise connect the amps inputs to -v ?

Setmenu

I have been scratching my head a bit regarding joining the two.

Grounds....
As the amp has everything referenced to a virtual ground [half supply V] and the dac has a ground at battery negative.
So, this would mean from the amps perspective connecting the
dac ground to the amp pot ground would effectively
result in a connection to the amps -v supply ?
And likewise connecting a resistor between the dac ground and amp input would then also couple the amps input to -v?
Hmmm...Grounds..:scratch:

Sorry if this sounds muddled , I am just blundering along here:cannotbe:

Thus far the amp and dac do sound great with separate supplies:D

Regarding selector switches, there will none as the dac/amp is for
a dedicated portable headphone application.

And as for shared supplies, I would ideally like to hear both approaches as the single supply would save weight ,
but would agree separate is best.

Cheers

Setmenu

setmenu said:
Grounds....
As the amp has everything referenced to a virtual ground [half supply V] and the dac has a ground at battery negative.

:confused:
You need to explain a little bit more for us to understand...

1. Only one battery?
2. How do you create that virtual ground?
3. The GND of the dac is connected to V- on the battery, where is the + of the Dac connected to? (this question may seam stupid, but I'm trying to understand how many batteries do you have and how you connected them).

:scratch2:

if it sucessfully prefends from pops, what it will do if it looks like a resistor to the electrons sitting on the cap, and is connected to ground, it will affect sound quality in so far the pops are gone. This may be a worse sound degradation, as a pop is sound and no pop is obviosly less sound than one.

If you want improve the sound further, you will find loads of ways how on this board, one is laying a stone as near to the cap as possible.

There is nothing bad on those resistors, but it may be a bad experience to connect a charged cap to the input of a cranked up hifi system.

carlosfm said:

:confused:
You need to explain a little bit more for us to understand...

1. Only one battery?
2. How do you create that virtual ground?
3. The GND of the dac is connected to V- on the battery, where is the + of the Dac connected to? (this question may seam stupid, but I'm trying to understand how many batteries do you have and how you connected them).

:scratch2:

Hi Carlos
The power supply is series pack of 8x1.2v nimh cells.
The virtual ground for the amp is created using a 3 terminal monolithic device from TI, the TLE2426.
The Dac is fed from the +- terminals of the battery pack and the
voltage regulated according to component needs.[8v,5v]

Cheers

Setmenu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.