Probably easy clock question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!:)

I have bought a seconhand Philips player, and I`m going to go non oversampling.

So my question is:

When I remove the saa7220 digital filter I have to feed the clock (Tent clock) directly to the clock input at the saa7310 decoder. Do I then have to add a resitstor (200K- 1M) between the the clock input and the clock output on the 7310? Or is this resistor only needed when it is fed by a passive crystal?

Tor Martin

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Please leave the resistor where it is or you'll experience weird behaviour of your cdplayer !!! Remove only the crystal and the 2 small capacitors.

edit: I misunderstood your question probably. When there isn't a resistor in the datasheet/typical application of SAA7310 you don't need one. It's too late now to check.

Thanks for answering, Jean Paul!

Sorry, my question may have been a bit "unclear".

The player is a cd 820, and it uses the same mainboard as cd 620, marantz cd40.......

The 7310 gets it`s clock signal from the "xsys" pin on the 7220 without having a resistor between it`s "X-in" pin and it`s "X-out" pin.

The 7220 have the standard 220k resistor in paralell with the crystal, between x-in and x-out.

So I thought this was easy, after I remove the 7220, I just feed the x-in pin of the 7310 with a tent clock, the same way is was fed before. But then I found this page where they add the resistor: http://xoomer.virgilio.it/hi_fi/jitt.htm

Hopefully this is not needed, because it would go between pin 25 and 26 on the smd version of the 7310, and I would rather avoid soldering anything between thoose small pins.

Thanks

Tor M

Tor M said:

Thanks for answering, Jean Paul!

Sorry, my question may have been a bit "unclear".

The player is a cd 820, and it uses the same mainboard as cd 620, marantz cd40.......

The 7310 gets it`s clock signal from the "xsys" pin on the 7220 without having a resistor between it`s "X-in" pin and it`s "X-out" pin.

The 7220 have the standard 220k resistor in paralell with the crystal, between x-in and x-out.

So I thought this was easy, after I remove the 7220, I just feed the x-in pin of the 7310 with a tent clock, the same way is was fed before. But then I found this page where they add the resistor: http://xoomer.virgilio.it/hi_fi/jitt.htm

Hopefully this is not needed, because it would go between pin 25 and 26 on the smd version of the 7310, and I would rather avoid soldering anything between thoose small pins.

Thanks

Tor M

Hi Tor,

This way you do not need the resitor. The resistor is often present to make sure the crystal oscillator is correctly biased

succes

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Spindle motor spinning very fast and/or skipping ( behaviour like disconnected clock ). The internal ports locked like a comparator without the resistor. Modern chipsets have the resistor often built in as you can see in their datasheets. I know its supposed to be used with crystals.

After having experienced this phenomenon I leave the 220 K to 1 M resistor where it is as it does not do harm.

Please note that I am talking about older generations of Philips chipsets here.

Tent clock - SAA7310

I am installing a Tent Clock (XO2) in a Philips CD624. The original arrangement has the crystal connected to the SAA7321 Bitstream DAC (with built in filter).

The standard installation involves removal of the crystal and accompanying 2 capacitors and then connecting the new colck module to the points vacated by the crystal.

Is this the best implementation?
Should I also make a connection from the clock module directly to the SAA7310 decoder?
If so - should I cut the clock trace between the SAA7310 and SAA7321?

carlosfm said:
Tor, I don't know that player, but check it out if removing the 7220 you don't loose the S/PDIF output.
If you won't ever need it, fine.:cool:

Hi Carlos:)

Yup, I`ll loose the S/PDIF when removing the 7220, but at the moment I don`t need it.
I have plenty of TDA1543s, so for a start I thought I`ll use one of theese in a i2s direct connection with an passive I/V and fed from battery.. Something like Peter Daniel did in his Marantz. Maybe later I start experimenting with different outputstages for the TDA1541 that is in.

I bought 2 players, this philips, and a Marantz cd 40. They both use the same mainboard. The plan was to modify the philips and keep the marantz as it is so I can compare them as I go along.
:)

Regards

Tor M:) :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.