Passive I/V vs. traditional I/V, FFT pics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A 8 said:
PThe pic below shows the passive balanced PCM1704K @ 0dB and a analog attenuator before the soundcard....still looks better then expected.

It is very good indeed! With your solution you have combined I/V, preamp and volume-control fully balanced in one single potentiometer, quite nifty! I assume the pot is about 1kohm but at normal listening levels it is probably not set at much more than 100ohms, right?

Too bad I did not realize this until Pedja's post, but it is obvious now that your original -60dB signal was un-dithered.

ojg,
That's about it but I use a stepped attenuator.

I had to test 24 bit performance and made a few dumps of -100dB, -110dB, -118dB and digital zero still at the poweramp (2*180w) output.

Pretty impressing as well.......

The small spikes @ 4.3, 14 and 18kHz seems to be from the computer/soundcard combo as they are identical if I just short the input on the soundcard.

First out 24/48@-100dB

Attachments

• pcm1704k_bal_passiv_2448_-100.jpg
    pcm1704k_bal_passiv_2448_-100.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 391
A 8 said:
-118dB...I guess the TDA1541 would have a hard time matching this;)

A 8 said:
For those of you who can't resist getting into a ****ing contest I suggest you save your TDA1541/nonos vs everything else for another thread.

;)

Seems the distortion is hidden under the noise.
Also such low signal level doesn't exist on CD ? :confused:

Want a DAC shoot-out ? :D

I am seriously interested if more bits are better :att'n:

Please post new measurements @ -60dB with clean signal from Pedja.

I got two -60dB signals, one from Pedja and one from another forum member.
One had lower noise and I don't remember which one. :bawling:

This is one of my 1541 with os, don't remember which one:

Worst harmonic is K2 is -65dB

Attachments

• tdadistnew.jpg
    tdadistnew.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 388
Want a DAC shoot-out ?

Sorry about doing what I asked you not to....and -no I am not looking for 24 vs 16 bit dac shootout as a 16bit dac is not an option for me.

Also such low signal level doesn't exist on CD ?
Right, however CD is not the only source availible to us. Concerts on dvd in 20-24/48 LPCM makes a big difference when run through a 24 bit dac vs a 16 bit one and can become very engaging.
DVD-Audio through this dac when mastered right is also VERY nice.

I am seriously interested if more bits are better

Well at -60 dB there might not be a big difference but at -100dB and below there will be a significant difference..;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.