Philips CD630 mods - the begining

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First of all my kindly regards to Audiofanatic for scheme - great job, Jose! My respect!
Well, started from +-15 v PS. Took of 7815/7915 and capacitors before and after. Diodes remain. Capacitors before regulator chanched to Elna Silmic 1000x35 - they are big, so one placed vertically in the same holes and another one lying on the bottom side of printed board (PB). After regulator Elna Starget 470x35 - both also on the bottom side of PB. Essentially regulator made on M5230L + transistors (Rohm) from datasheet. Placed also on the bottom side in the holes from 7815/7915. Capacitors from consume side (TDA1541 - 15V, LM833) changed to BG ST 100x16v. Resistors 10 ohm in-series remains. Capacitors of digital supply TDA1541 (+ - 5 v) changed to BG NX 220x6,3v. Digital power supply remains. O.K. Results: CD listening is YES "Magnification". Much & MUCH clearly, more opened and a new voices & instruments appeared ;) !!! Sadly dislocate absence of deep , controlled bass. Without bas overall don't like this sound. Now will do digital PS on M5290 & clock. Will check. Heard that it's very hard to extract a deep bass from TDA1541A. What's your opinion?

Valery said:
Capacitors before regulator chanched to Elna Silmic 1000x35 - they are big, so one placed vertically in the same holes and another one lying on the bottom side of printed board (PB). After regulator Elna Starget 470x35 - both also on the bottom side of PB.

How did you decide on the values for the capacitors?
Are they just the biggest ones that would fit?

Capacitors

Hi, Fin,

The original capacitors are Nichicon 470x35 v and they are ~ three times smaller than Elna Silmic 1000x35, so I sad "big" just because of the can size ( 18 x 35,5, mm ) and yes, they are the biggest ones in can size that would fit, but not in the values. I just have them, so I used them. You can use any other capacitors even with the bigger values with ~ this sizes (Panasonic FC or FJ for example), but values bigger than 1500 mF would not be reasonable I think. I suggest you to put AFTER the regulator Black Gate's FK 470 mF (220 also will be O.K.) x 16 v and from the consume side also let's say 50-100 mF x16 v. They are making VERY good job. I'm already ordered FK and will change the presence ones for them.

Regards,
Valery.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.