Microsoft tolling fee from hard drive listening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Microsoft wants to do this/that etc.

I suggest you take claims by Linux camps with a pinch of salt -- it is almost like believing marketing claims and PR stunts by Oracle or Sun. The real "enemy" is RIAA, or Sony or anybody else who makes more money than the poor artists who create original material in the first place.

Linux is only free if your time has no value!

(Need an enterprise class application server? If so, it is "free" with Windows -- whereas other vendors sell their for $50K per pop or more, also on Linux.

Need the most tested web server on the planet? if so, it is "free" with Windows

Need a word processor or spreadsheet that is actually usable? If so, you can only get it for Windows because the competitor products suck so bad

Need the best programming tools on the planet (VS .NET)?

Need enterprise class message queuing? It is "free" with Windows, but you can get IBM MQ Series for Linux at high cost if you really want to

Need free updates without having to work hard to get things installed? Windows update is a very nifty feature that actually works well

Perhaps most importantly: Do you need management tools? They are actually not available for Linux.

Do you want EXTENSIVE device support?

Do you want to hire people with a standardized skill set?

Do you enjoy benefits from having ClearType work across all apps -- even old ones?

Do you want to purchase service contract with guaranteed up-time from one of a shitload of partners? If so you will find most offerings on Windows, even at 5 minutes planned downtime per year.)

There are compelling things with Linux, perhaps mostly on the server side, but it would be useful if people were not forgetting that MS has done some very good stuff -- look for example at pricing of software before MS when word processors were like $1000 a pop.

Petter

This is completely off topic etc, but I just had to respond to some of your points...

Of course, this applies to any operating system...

(Need an enterprise class application server? If so, it is "free" with Windows -- whereas other vendors sell their for $50K per pop or more, also on Linux.

Don't know anything about this as I've never had any need for an application server.

LOL... I assume you are talking about IIS? Tested indeed, by code red et al.

I can't even begin to estimate the damage those IIS security problems caused.

The most used web server on the Internet is actually Apache, AFAIK it has never had a serious security hole and it also outperforms IIS. You can run Apache on windows if you like, but it really belongs on Linux or *BSD.

Need a word processor or spreadsheet that is actually usable? If so, you can only get it for Windows because the competitor products suck so bad

There is some truth to this, but the situation is changing. Personally I find free alternatives quite sufficient.

You mean Emacs and GCC?

Seriously, except for GUI design work I find IDE:s get in the way. Even so, there are some very good IDE tools available (KDevelop, anjuta).

Need enterprise class message queuing? It is "free" with Windows, but you can get IBM MQ Series for Linux at high cost if you really want to

Need even sure what you mean by message queuing, please elaborate...

Need free updates without having to work hard to get things installed? Windows update is a very nifty feature that actually works well

This makes me laugh considering how simple installation and upgrading is on my Debian Linux system compared to Windows.

Ever heard of Debian APT, Red Carpet or Redhat Network for example?

Perhaps most importantly: Do you need management tools? They are actually not available for Linux.

What exactly do you mean by management tools? Remote server management? Unix systems are *made* for that...

Unsupported devices exist, but are increasingly uncommon.

What does that have to do with anything? And why would you want to hire clones?

Do you enjoy benefits from having ClearType work across all apps -- even old ones?

Cleartype is a nice feature, AA and subpixel rendering is a relatively new feature in X and it doesn't automatically work with all software. On the other hand, as most software is open source there is often no reason to _not_ upgrade, and it's always possible for a third party to add this support.

Do you want to purchase service contract with guaranteed up-time from one of a shitload of partners? If so you will find most offerings on Windows, even at 5 minutes planned downtime per year.)

I really have no idea, but I'm quite impressed that people achieve that kind of uptime with windows...

There are compelling things with Linux, perhaps mostly on the server side, but it would be useful if people were not forgetting that MS has done some very good stuff -- look for example at pricing of software before MS when word processors were like $1000 a pop.

I don't doubt that MS has had a positive impact on the development of the PC etc, but I don't think it's very logical to think we would have higher prices without their monopoly status.

MQ Series messaging

Both the Micosoft and IBM messaging products allow data to be sent from one system to another with guaranteed delivery via API's - Extremely useful stuff.

The IBM product runs on almost any platform/OS and allows messaging between disparate platforms - It is largely used by banks, etc and in more recent years the scope of use has increased with web enabled applications.

Not sure that the Microsoft product works beyond Windows...

.... So now you know!

Response to questions:

Q: Don't know anything about this as I've never had any need for an application server.

Most software vendors sell application servers. They typically charge $50K per processor .... It is built into windows but is confusingly named MTS. Chances are you will soon need an app server.

Re Apache, performance etc. I am not going into a fist fight, but it is useful to note that most DOS attacks are orchestrated using already hacked Unix machines ... All platforms have vulnerabilities and Windows ranks slightly better than Solaris according to published reports. Also, all vulnerabilities on MS platform are typically attributed to Windows, but on Unix they are attributed to the application -- which could be anything from the webserver to the media player. How many saw the very bad security flaws in Oracle and Solaris recently? How many saw a minor Windows bug all over the web?

Why do all vendors of Java specifically keep you legally bound to not publish benchmarks of their products?

Q: You mean Emacs and GCC?

Don Box uses Emacs for demos :) However, I mean .NET Framework. Compilers etc. are actually free if you enjoy Emacs or Notepad.

Q: Need even sure what you mean by message queuing, please elaborate...

Microsoft runs it's own message queuing natively on Windows and PocketPC. It also supports integration with other message queuing systems.

Q: What exactly do you mean by management tools? Remote server management? Unix systems are *made* for that...

Try rolling out 1000 desktops or upgrading them. Even companies with an explicit non-MS policy such as Daimler Chrysler use Windows on the client for this reason -- there are no tools to get the job done.

Q: ... why would you want to hire clones?

Who wants to have a non-standardized system when personnell is replaced? How can you "measure" whether say Linux consultant has basic competency? What do you think you have to pay to support a non-standard system?

Q: ... I'm quite impressed that people achieve that kind of uptime with windows...

There are many partners who guarantee such performance and take monetary hit if they do not deliver. They would not take such risk if they found it incredibly difficult. How many partners guarantee system uptime (applications + OS) on Linux?

You don't need massive clusters to achieve this, but how do you guarantee uptime on a non-clustered Linux box? What do you do if the power supply burns or the disk (system) crashes?

Both platforms have things going for them. I take minor offense to unsupported claims about performance, security, stability etc.

However I agree this is turning very off-topic and will refrain from extending the tread for that reason.

Petter

Whilst I also agree this is way off topic, but I hate it when people fall for marketing and don't actually look for themselves.

Petter said:
Microsoft wants to do this/that etc.

I suggest you take claims by Linux camps with a pinch of salt -- it is almost like believing marketing claims and PR stunts by Oracle or Sun. The real "enemy" is RIAA, or Sony or anybody else who makes more money than the poor artists who create original material in the first place.

I absolutely agree 100% with this statement. (And I'm one of those Linux campers!) While MS is the big evil baddie of the day (Anyone remember when it was IBM?) there are other baddies telling MS to do some of these things.

Again, very true.

And you've researched this? (I don't know anything about this, not even sure what you mean by an enterprise class application server??) If so, then fine, I'll concede the point.

When did MS start shipping Apache with windows??? According to netcraft (www.netcraft.com) the currently most popular web server in the world is apache, with 56.38% of the world wide web running on it. (IIS has 31.96%)

I'll concede this. Although I haven't tried the alternatives recently. (I've heard StarOffice has gotten better)

What are you smoking with this??? The product is barely on the market and you're claiming its the best in the world?!?!?!?! It wasn't even gold before the first security holes were uncovered with it!!! Why on earth would you say its the best? (Ease of programming, power, stability, security, what??) I'm sorry, I just don't buy it. (I'm also not saying Linux has the best either, by the way)

It was elaborated that this is primarily used by banking systems and systems that require timely responses. I'll concede this as well, since I haven't looked into this at all.

Tell this to my father-in-law who had windows update tell him he needed the latest intel DMA drivers for his machine. (He's running athlons on AMD chipsets) It took a half an hour to fix this screw up!

As to Linux, I just fire up the Mandrake updater, pick an ftp site, and it gives me a list of updated software to download. I pick the list, and it installs it and its done. (Without having to reboot my computer!!!!)

Are you talking about managing a system without physically walking to it?? I've been doing that with my firewall for months!!! (Its a SparcClassic running SuSE Linux, has no monitor or keyboard, try that with windows!!) With ANY *nix this is not only possible but standard practice! I can not only manage every portion of the machine remotely, I can do it using GUIs!!! (Thanks to X windows!)

That you have to track down, install separately, reboot your computer, hope it was the right one, and hope it doesn't hose the machine. When I installed Mandrake on my machine, it auto-detected the 3Com network card, the built-in sound card, the NVIDIA video card, and all of my hard drives and set everything up for me. WITHOUT MY DOING A THING!!!

And the point of this is??? Skill set in what? This makes the least sense to me. (It sounds more like market-speak than anything)

You can have this one.

At what cost? How many machines, what power machines, and so on. You can purchase service contracts for Linux machines as well. You don't find them as much because its like any *nix, pretty stable and pretty much just works.

Tell that to the school systems! They're now being required to buy software for ALL OF THEIR COMPUTERS REGARDLESS OF WHETER OR NOT THEY'RE RUNNING WINDOWS (OR EVEN CAN FOR THAT MATTER!!) (see: http://www.theregus.com/content/4/24877.html )

While I agree with a multitude of things about MS, I have to dis-agree with some of the things as detailed above. If you want to see Linux shine, simply look at what I'm using for a firewall/internal server. Its an old SparcClassic running Linux. Its running apache, zope, mysql, dns, nfs, and numerous other things. Total cost, including software and hardware, about $25! Yes, it took a little bit of time to configure the machine, but most of the time was because I didn't know what I was doing. Apache was painless, nfs was a no-brainer, mysql was a slight problem, but that was configuring access to it. Zope caused problems, but mostly because I didn't bother to read all of the documentation. Dns took about 2 hours total to make work. (It would now take me about 15 minutes to re-configure it again, and that's just because of typing weird things in)

p.s. I just did a quick check, and it appears that this site is running on Linux with apache. (any complaints about the site?)

I work as a network tech @ a south Seattle (WA, USA) school district and have had very personal experience with that MS School Agreement Crap that Schaef linked to. They sent us the info on it, along with a letter stating that we had 60 days to audit our entire district! We have more than 8000 machines, and there are only about a dozen of us in the department! Anyways, I'll stop now, 'cause im only contributing to being off topic.

Windoze...

Sorry, but I briefly have to add to the off topic...

I run the network system for a city. There is NO amount of convincing that anyone can do that will change my mind regarding Windows as a server platform....

IT'S JUNK!!!! It's bloated, unstable and slow!

I used to be part of a team that switched 15000 users from Netware/Unix to Windows servers. WHAT A NIGHTMARE IT WAS!!!

It always amuses me to talk with an all MS shop. They are forever telling me how great Win2k is blah blah blah. Then we get to the topic of the conversation like "I'm receiving dns errors at this end..." and the reply is something like "Oh yea, we know about that and are waiting for the patch....we'll have to reboot that server for you..."

I've had Netware and Unix boxes that literally ran for years without a hiccup. My Windows servers reboot at a minimum of weekly or they are not stable in a production environment...

I run all HP server equipment. It's all properly patched and is very very good. Unfortunately, the boxes are only as good as the OS running on them...

I have to laugh; I just shutdown one of my Netware boxes the other night because I was upgrading hardware. It had been running UNTOUCHED for 188 days! No reboots or glitches and no, it's not clustered... Try that with ANY version of Windows...

Sorry for the rant - It just angers me that the leading software is so poorly written. For the desktop, I'd give it a 6 out of 10...(I don't think it's stable enough) but for servers NO WAY...

Steve

Everybody got off topic.

What mean I in my first post is that Microsoft wants users to pay when they (users) listen to thier MP3 or WAV that they ripped or copied from the CD disc that they bought. I get pops in the audio when I digital ripped CDs but I'm using Windows 98. Those darn updates.

It my experience MS OS doesn't utilize the whole computer. With a tweaked windows system I get about 700 Kilobytes from a cable modem. With LINUX (not tweaked kernel) I get over 2000 Kilobytes.

I have Office 2000 Standard. Usually when using software you have to enter the CD key and thats it. Now I have to register the product from the internet. Since Windows screwed up my computer THREE times. I can not use it.

Sourceforge is a good place to gather some LINUX applications. Redhats RPM packages makes installation very easy.

I use Mandrake 8.1 and I installed Opera from a Red Hat RPM package. After installation I can then use it and with out rebooting. I also installed WINE from Codeweavers (from a Red Hat RPM package). Very good program but needs more work.

I'm sure that some people heard of Lindows. It is LINUX that can run MS applications. However it has a hefty price tag of $100.

VMware for LINUX, can run any MS OS. Give VMware a hard drive or let it make an image that simulates a partition or hard drive. Next install any MS OS of your choice. I used it for about 30 days and I liked it.

Anything that MS OS can do, LINUX can do. What I'm saying LINUX might be your other alternative if MS starts SAP (Security Audio Protection) in Windows XP.

In Defence of Windows

I run Win98 on a K-6 200 with 256Mb and I don't get any troubles whatsoever.
I have tried Linux briefly, and I was unimpressed with long boot time, no faster than W98, and the configuration issues = HASSLES .

I'm happy just pressing the power button, wait a little while, and being presented with a user friendly interface.
To me this computer is a very usefull tool, not a plaything, and frankly I am not interested in having to stuff around with it.

This goes for the vast majority of computer users, hence the unrivalled success of Windows in the real world marketplace.
If you look at the facts, it costs a truckload of wages to pay for the development of such an OS, so in my view the retail pricing of Windows is not unreasonable, given that Windows installs itself and then just works, usually no fuss, no bother.

My POV, Eric.

No, I'm not paid by MS.

Re: In Defence of Windows

mrfeedback said:
I run Win98 on a K-6 200 with 256Mb and I don't get any troubles whatsoever.
I have tried Linux briefly, and I was unimpressed with long boot time, no faster than W98, and the configuration issues = HASSLES .

I'm happy just pressing the power button, wait a little while, and being presented with a user friendly interface.
To me this computer is a very usefull tool, not a plaything, and frankly I am not interested in having to stuff around with it.

Yeah, this is perhaps the biggest quirk of Linux. I've been using it for a while and it's a terrific OS, specially given the price (dirt cheap or free if you can download it :) ) but it's Unix, and Unix, sadly, has NEVER been user friendly, specially if you're a neophyte. You simply cannot compete with Windows in that issue, neither the software support. Most computer people are drawn to Linux because of that I beleive, and seem to get a kick of doing things that no one else seems to be able to understand :)

Now, having said that, the learning curve IS there, but is well worth the time. I'm running RedHat 7.2 and i never, never had my system crashing, locking up or whatever. I use KDE as my graphic enviroment, and the quality of the new software appearing for it is astoundisihng, specially when you realize most of it is made (almost) for free. I keep a partition with Win98, but only for software i have no equivalent for lately. The speed diference is more noticeable every day.

As I read through the post. Few people are using LINUX, but others praises MS for the advancement in their (MS OS) software.

When I learned (12 years ago) that Bill Gates took the UNIX source code for his DOS OS, I was thinking to use UNIX. During that time I had a 386-DX 40 and UNIX was still in its early stages.

LINUX or UNIX is a true multi-task environment. Windows, since version 3.1, is a multi-task environment but not very stable. Windows also eats memory and throws up dirty bits during use (memory leak).

LINUX is like a power tool. When you know how to use it, you can can do amazing things with it.

BTW, I would like to use LINUX as the heart of a HTPC.

Re: USE MANDRAKE

JasonL said:
DUde if yu think that redhat is easy try mandrake it is way better and has more on the meues and had hard drake witch helps you install hard ware with out compiling and ect ect it is way better and more user friendly i love it with my dual 19" monitors and 1 gig system

Yeah, so i've heard... everyone seems to be loving Mandrake lately :) I'm holding up until the new distributions with KDE 3 come out, then i'll probably try it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.