Microsoft tolling fee from hard drive listening - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2002, 08:00 PM   #11
Apogee is offline Apogee  United States
diyAudio Member

Thumbs down Windoze...

Sorry, but I briefly have to add to the off topic...

I run the network system for a city. There is NO amount of convincing that anyone can do that will change my mind regarding Windows as a server platform....

IT'S JUNK!!!! It's bloated, unstable and slow!

I used to be part of a team that switched 15000 users from Netware/Unix to Windows servers. WHAT A NIGHTMARE IT WAS!!!

It always amuses me to talk with an all MS shop. They are forever telling me how great Win2k is blah blah blah. Then we get to the topic of the conversation like "I'm receiving dns errors at this end..." and the reply is something like "Oh yea, we know about that and are waiting for the patch....we'll have to reboot that server for you..."

I've had Netware and Unix boxes that literally ran for years without a hiccup. My Windows servers reboot at a minimum of weekly or they are not stable in a production environment...

I run all HP server equipment. It's all properly patched and is very very good. Unfortunately, the boxes are only as good as the OS running on them...

I have to laugh; I just shutdown one of my Netware boxes the other night because I was upgrading hardware. It had been running UNTOUCHED for 188 days! No reboots or glitches and no, it's not clustered... Try that with ANY version of Windows...

Sorry for the rant - It just angers me that the leading software is so poorly written. For the desktop, I'd give it a 6 out of 10...(I don't think it's stable enough) but for servers NO WAY...

Steve
Old 8th May 2002, 09:24 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Everybody got off topic.

What mean I in my first post is that Microsoft wants users to pay when they (users) listen to thier MP3 or WAV that they ripped or copied from the CD disc that they bought. I get pops in the audio when I digital ripped CDs but I'm using Windows 98. Those darn updates.

It my experience MS OS doesn't utilize the whole computer. With a tweaked windows system I get about 700 Kilobytes from a cable modem. With LINUX (not tweaked kernel) I get over 2000 Kilobytes.

I have Office 2000 Standard. Usually when using software you have to enter the CD key and thats it. Now I have to register the product from the internet. Since Windows screwed up my computer THREE times. I can not use it.

Sourceforge is a good place to gather some LINUX applications. Redhats RPM packages makes installation very easy.

I use Mandrake 8.1 and I installed Opera from a Red Hat RPM package. After installation I can then use it and with out rebooting. I also installed WINE from Codeweavers (from a Red Hat RPM package). Very good program but needs more work.

I'm sure that some people heard of Lindows. It is LINUX that can run MS applications. However it has a hefty price tag of $100.

VMware for LINUX, can run any MS OS. Give VMware a hard drive or let it make an image that simulates a partition or hard drive. Next install any MS OS of your choice. I used it for about 30 days and I liked it.

Anything that MS OS can do, LINUX can do. What I'm saying LINUX might be your other alternative if MS starts SAP (Security Audio Protection) in Windows XP.
Old 8th May 2002, 10:10 PM   #13
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Mac OS X??

Noone talks about the UNIX system MacOS X. 5 million copies are running at his point and in a few years tenths of millions! Bigger the LINUX!

Music on Mac is fundamental and free, so far...

Check the http://www.apple.com to check out the coolest UNIX dialect in the world.
Old 9th May 2002, 01:11 AM   #14
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Default Mac ius better than pc buy far

Mac computers are better than pc's buy far and there stabler. also os-x is way more efficiant and reliable than windows xp ect ect .... and mandrake ( witch is what i use is better than any windows product and 1/8 of the price..
Old 9th May 2002, 02:03 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default In Defence of Windows

I run Win98 on a K-6 200 with 256Mb and I don't get any troubles whatsoever.
I have tried Linux briefly, and I was unimpressed with long boot time, no faster than W98, and the configuration issues = HASSLES .

I'm happy just pressing the power button, wait a little while, and being presented with a user friendly interface.
To me this computer is a very usefull tool, not a plaything, and frankly I am not interested in having to stuff around with it.

This goes for the vast majority of computer users, hence the unrivalled success of Windows in the real world marketplace.
If you look at the facts, it costs a truckload of wages to pay for the development of such an OS, so in my view the retail pricing of Windows is not unreasonable, given that Windows installs itself and then just works, usually no fuss, no bother.

My POV, Eric.

No, I'm not paid by MS.
Old 9th May 2002, 07:23 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
Default Re: In Defence of Windows

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfeedback
I run Win98 on a K-6 200 with 256Mb and I don't get any troubles whatsoever.
I have tried Linux briefly, and I was unimpressed with long boot time, no faster than W98, and the configuration issues = HASSLES .

I'm happy just pressing the power button, wait a little while, and being presented with a user friendly interface.
To me this computer is a very usefull tool, not a plaything, and frankly I am not interested in having to stuff around with it.
Yeah, this is perhaps the biggest quirk of Linux. I've been using it for a while and it's a terrific OS, specially given the price (dirt cheap or free if you can download it ) but it's Unix, and Unix, sadly, has NEVER been user friendly, specially if you're a neophyte. You simply cannot compete with Windows in that issue, neither the software support. Most computer people are drawn to Linux because of that I beleive, and seem to get a kick of doing things that no one else seems to be able to understand

Now, having said that, the learning curve IS there, but is well worth the time. I'm running RedHat 7.2 and i never, never had my system crashing, locking up or whatever. I use KDE as my graphic enviroment, and the quality of the new software appearing for it is astoundisihng, specially when you realize most of it is made (almost) for free. I keep a partition with Win98, but only for software i have no equivalent for lately. The speed diference is more noticeable every day.
Old 9th May 2002, 07:43 AM   #17
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Default USE MANDRAKE

DUde if yu think that redhat is easy try mandrake it is way better and has more on the meues and had hard drake witch helps you install hard ware with out compiling and ect ect it is way better and more user friendly i love it with my dual 19" monitors and 1 gig system

jason
Old 9th May 2002, 08:05 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

As I read through the post. Few people are using LINUX, but others praises MS for the advancement in their (MS OS) software.

When I learned (12 years ago) that Bill Gates took the UNIX source code for his DOS OS, I was thinking to use UNIX. During that time I had a 386-DX 40 and UNIX was still in its early stages.

LINUX or UNIX is a true multi-task environment. Windows, since version 3.1, is a multi-task environment but not very stable. Windows also eats memory and throws up dirty bits during use (memory leak).

LINUX is like a power tool. When you know how to use it, you can can do amazing things with it.

BTW, I would like to use LINUX as the heart of a HTPC.
Old 9th May 2002, 08:14 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
Default Re: USE MANDRAKE

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonL
DUde if yu think that redhat is easy try mandrake it is way better and has more on the meues and had hard drake witch helps you install hard ware with out compiling and ect ect it is way better and more user friendly i love it with my dual 19" monitors and 1 gig system
Yeah, so i've heard... everyone seems to be loving Mandrake lately I'm holding up until the new distributions with KDE 3 come out, then i'll probably try it.
Old 9th May 2002, 08:21 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Red Hat VS. Mandrake. They are both the same OS. Mandrake is more user friendly but Red Hat is mainly for intermediate to advanced users. Either LINUX distribution will work.

Nobody has never answer the question of my first post.

The question:

What do you have to say about this article or page?

http://www.vxm.com/Impact.LinuxAV.html

Hide this!Advertise here!