Is anyone running a multi-channel audio DVD (SACD or DVDA) through a TosLink optical

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been tearing my hair out wondering why both my Sony SACD DVD player AND my Pioneer Elite DV-45A have defective optical outputs. I just discovered that they don't - if I play a movie or a stereo CD then the TosLink optical outputs work fine. But if I put in a multi-channel SACD the optical outputs turn off.

Also, both units have a set of 6 channel (5.1) outputs but again, when I play a multi-channel disc, I only get signals out of the front outputs - nothing from the Surround, Center, or Subwoofer connectors.

What the $%&*#@ is going on?

This is a perfect example of why these so-called "formats" are doomed to failure. Here is someone that probably knows 10x more about audio equipment than the average consumer, yet he is stumped by the basic problems with the "formats". (A few hundred titles do not a format make....)

The first problem is two-fold. The TosLink interface is incapable of handling the data rate for SACD (90% of which is simply noise anyway). Even if it would handle it, Sony forbids it because it isn't encrypted. No "fair use" allowed here...

The second problem is due to incorrect setup. Read the manual and you will find the answers to your problems.

Read the manual?

I can't believe these manuals were written by someone who considers English their primary language.

Not to brag but I had a full blown quadraphonic setup in the 70's with SQ full logic and CD4 (compatible discrete 4 channel) quad and I really liked it. Since 1980 I've been designing electronics for NASA ta JPL and yes, as frustrating a time as I'm having I feel sorry for the poor guy that just wants to hear multi-channel audio. Hell, for that matter I'm feeling sorry for me right now!

Multi-channel is good for movies, and qaudraphonic was great in the 70's, but for now it looks like the best sound is by far simple stereo with a subwoofer.

Here's some info on my background: http://www.atsf.co.uk/ilight/tech/thermal_nasa.html

Re: Read the manual?

EE_Mark said:
I can't believe these manuals were written by someone who considers English their primary language.

From the owner's manual for the Pioneer DV-45A:

==========
"Why can’t I hear SACD audio through the
digital outputs?

SACD audio is only available through
the analog outputs. This is not a
malfunction. Some DVD-Audio discs too
only output audio through the analog
outputs."
==========
"Audio Output Mode
• Set in Setup Navigator (Default: 2
Channel)

• If you set to 2 Channel, Dolby Digital,
DTS and MPEG audio is mixed down to
two channels so you still hear all the
audio recorded on the disc."
==========

I guess I'm not quite seeing exactly what the problem with the translation from Japanese is.

I don't have the manual on the Pioneer here

I was referring to the manual on my Dolby Digital Receiver.

I can't believe how bad this sucks. What a pain in the butt.

I guess my receiver isn't compatable with my other stuff.

Just give me back my turntable and some quality vinyl and I'd be a happy man.

Jerks

So they're worried about somebody being able to copy high-resolution versions of the music. You can't even copy a SACD or a DVDA. They're so worried about somebody copying the digital dat they won't let you have access to it. Man, this really sucks. Especially since 99% of the consumers have never even heard of SACD or DVDA and would be just as happy with an MP3.

This really gets me mad. The idiots are only hurting themselves.

Charles Hanson

Charles Hansen said:

From the owner's manual for the Pioneer DV-45A:

==========
"Why can’t I hear SACD audio through the
digital outputs?

SACD audio is only available through
the analog outputs. This is not a
malfunction. Some DVD-Audio discs too
only output audio through the analog
outputs."
==========
"Audio Output Mode
• Set in Setup Navigator (Default: 2
Channel)

• If you set to 2 Channel, Dolby Digital,
DTS and MPEG audio is mixed down to
two channels so you still hear all the
audio recorded on the disc."
==========

I guess I'm not quite seeing exactly what the problem with the translation from Japanese is.

Charles, thanks for the info. I don't have the manuals on my DVD players here - only the manual on my receiver and it didn't mention that information.

I got really mad when I read what you posted but I didn't mean to 'shoot the messenger'. I think these guys are shooting themselves in the foot by being so paranoid.

But even if I take the 2 channel output from my DVD player my receiver can only synthesize surround sound. Maybe I need a receiver that has some kind of DTS encoder built in. Screw that; what a pain in the butt.

I had Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl in quad back in the 70's and I now have the same on a so-called 5.1 SACD and, unless it's just that my receiver isl acking something, the quad vinyl sounded a million times better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.