Audio Alchemy DDE V1.0 schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello there, does anyone have a schematic for this DAC ? And of course improvement ideas are welcome. I skipped this one in its days although it was not bad but I recently bought one out of curiousity. I wonder what the differences with V1.1 are as well.

Strange grounding scheme is the first thing I noticed but well built and good component quality in general.

Hi Jean-Paul,

Welcome to the AA family.
I have an (extensively tweaked) v3.0.
My brother has an (extensively tweaked by me) Dac Man (what a beautuful name!).
Yes, these devices had very good parts inside, and tweaked give very good sound indeed.
Their weak point is always the unregulated PSUs.
Any regulated PSU that you can make will give big improvent in sound quality (even with 78xx/79xx).
I know, they are regulated inside (with 78Lxx/79Lxx).
This guys put a regulator on each chip.
But believe me, the difference is huge.
And the op-amps, you know... ;-)
Anyway, I think that the main difference between the 1.0 and the late 1.1 was that the 1.1 had HDCD digital filter (PMD100), for an incredible low price at that time.
Please lower the gain to a normal 2v output, as I did on mine and my brother's AA.
This guys had around 3.6v output, and some preamps (not mine) clipped.
The 3.0 has a reason for that, it had a digital volume (with the PMD100), but the Dac Man didn't and had the same output voltage...
Oh, BTW my 3.0 is complete, with remote control (extra feature at the time).
I have the Dac-in-the-box schematic and the v3.0 schematic, sorry, I don't have yours...

Note: my crappy W2k at home is giving up the ghost, I can't even put smiles on this deam post. :-(

Hello Peter

Go to this thread :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34247

There is links for the DITB schematic and some mods (power supply etc...)

I have a DITB too and I will make some improvements I think :

Power supply of the Dac ad1860 (actually +- 5 Volts, +-12V possible...

I/V conversion (actually internal R and AOP of the DAC)

and so on...

I think many interesting improvements are possible.

Greetings

Philippe

Re: Time is near

RFScheer said:
Carlos,

It just may be time to diy a linux pc and hop over to the pc music player thread;)

Sorry but couldn't resist.

-Robert:devilr:

You're right, I'm really thinking in putting Windows on the trash bin.:D (Ops, it works now...).

Peter Daniel said:

Hi Carlos,

Would you mind sending me that schematic? I have the unit but didn't have a chance to do anything with it yet.

Peter, I think you have the schematics now, check Philippe's post.:cool: (Ooops, it works again:D ).

Audio Alchemy DDE v3.0 Schematics

Gents,
This is my first posting.
I am in need of schematics for the Audio Alchemy DDE v3.0. My unit took a lightning hit (no, the previous owner had no in-line protection).
It "functions" perfectly, ie, front buttons work, everything lights (on the board, as well), it "locks" and it recognizes HDCD discs, BUT outputs no sound.
I have replaced the PMD 100 and I am waiting for a replacement receiver chip.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Russ

Re: Audio Alchemy DDE v3.0 Schematics

russ_d said:
Gents,
This is my first posting.
I am in need of schematics for the Audio Alchemy DDE v3.0. My unit took a lightning hit (no, the previous owner had no in-line protection).
It "functions" perfectly, ie, front buttons work, everything lights (on the board, as well), it "locks" and it recognizes HDCD discs, BUT outputs no sound.
I have replaced the PMD 100 and I am waiting for a replacement receiver chip.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Russ

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/d.mpl?audio/faq.html
scroll down to schematics

images

I know this is an old thread but here goes...

I have a Amanero Combo 384 USB-to-I2S interface on the way that I'd like to try out with my old Audio Alchemy DDE v1.0 DAC until I get my Subbu DAC V3.

The I2S input on the AA is via a 4-pin mini din. Would anyone know how the din pinouts map to GND, MCLK, FSYNC, SCLOCK, and SDATA where pins 1-4 are labelled according to the attached image for the din?

I don't have an oscilloscope. Is there any harm in trying various I2S wiring hookup combinations or will I be risking damage to either the Amanero board or AA DAC?

(The Audio Asylum FAQ section doesn't show schematics for this particular DAC)

Many Thanks.

images

I know this is an old thread but here goes...

I have a Amanero Combo 384 USB-to-I2S interface on the way that I'd like to try out with my old Audio Alchemy DDE v1.0 DAC until I get my Subbu DAC V3.

The I2S input on the AA is via a 4-pin mini din. Would anyone know how the din pinouts map to GND, MCLK, FSYNC, SCLOCK, and SDATA where pins 1-4 are labelled according to the attached image for the din?

I don't have an oscilloscope. Is there any harm in trying various I2S wiring hookup combinations or will I be risking damage to either the Amanero board or AA DAC?

(The Audio Asylum FAQ section doesn't show schematics for this particular DAC)

Many Thanks.

Audio Alchemy didn't use standard i2S, they inverted I think the wordclock. If you look at all the logic chips on the AA DAC's i2S input one reviewer claimed it had the worst jitter he had ever measured, you are better off using the coaxial iput on the AA DAC's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.