'Chibi' phase inverting mod. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2004, 08:31 AM   #11
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Cool Test Disc

Hi, I have a test disc where the least significant bit is switched on and off and all other bits are off. It is inaudible with the volume wide open. The only thing I hear is noise with the TDA1543 NON-OS. With the AD1865 the switching was on the brink of audible.
What is more of a problem is to get exactly two equal DACs for the positive and inverted audio signal.
Horowitz has a table for two's complement codes. All bits are the exact negative value when inverted, except the lowest.

I abondoned the idea of a balanced DAC as I did not hear imorovement by that technique. If you have a preamp with balanced inputs it may be worthwhile.
Old 29th June 2004, 09:48 AM   #12
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

Elso: was the 1865 also non-os?
Old 29th June 2004, 03:34 PM   #13
Banned

As I demonstrated with the 4-bit DAC example, a 1-bit shift in the digital domain skews the relationship between successive samples. Unless the DAC is biased by one bit to compensate, that 6dB of distortion is locked into the resulting analog signal.

To verify my contention, I modified the jitterdither program posted by Ulas and looked at the distortion in samples created with twos-compliment negation verses ones-complement inversion. Simple inversion yielded a S/N ratio that was approx. 6dB lower at all signal levels. Of course, with a 16-bit sample at –0dBFS the error adds less than 0.003% noise. That’s probably inaudible. But, at –60dBFS the invert error accounts for 2.5% additional noise.

All designs involve compromise when balancing performance with cost and complexity. The benefit of DIY is that you get to choose the compromises rather than have them forced upon you by a commercial design. If I were to DIY a DAC that required an inverted signal, either for differential operation or to invert absolute phase, I wouldn’t “cheap-out” and use a single inverter. A correct, 16-bit, twos-complement circuit can be done with a dozen 74xx chips or with a single programmable logic array. Come on! This is digital audio and the first word in digital audio is DIGITAL. Who’s afraid of a little glue logic?
Old 29th June 2004, 03:53 PM   #14
Banned

Default The little glue loggic is a problem for Jitter, ..

and the distortion related to that jitter is what we want to keep smaller than the distortion caused by inverting the 2-complements data stream.
So what will result in more distortion the glue-logic or the inversion?

Isn't there another solution, for example:
inverting the SPDIF-stream, and using 2xCS8412, one receives the normal SPDIF-stream and the other the negated stream. The MCK of one CS8412 could be the master-clock, which also clocks the other CS8412.

Henk
Old 29th June 2004, 04:30 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Re: The little glue loggic is a problem for Jitter, ..

Quote:
Originally posted by Calimero

inverting the SPDIF-stream, and using 2xCS8412, one receives the normal SPDIF-stream and the other the negated stream. The MCK of one CS8412 could be the master-clock, which also clocks the other CS8412.

Henk
Inverting the SPDIF stream will not make any difference. The stream is indifferent to phase.
Old 29th June 2004, 04:51 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jbokelman

All designs involve compromise when balancing performance with cost and complexity. The benefit of DIY is that you get to choose the compromises rather than have them forced upon you by a commercial design. If I were to DIY a DAC that required an inverted signal, either for differential operation or to invert absolute phase, I wouldn’t “cheap-out” and use a single inverter. A correct, 16-bit, twos-complement circuit can be done with a dozen 74xx chips or with a single programmable logic array. Come on! This is digital audio and the first word in digital audio is DIGITAL. Who’s afraid of a little glue logic?
Spend enough time here and you will realise that there are other issues involved beyond reason and logic.
Speaking as one who hasn't bothered much with 74xx/4000 logic since discovering the ease and speed of using programmable logic, I'd always include the 1 bit addition.
Old 29th June 2004, 04:59 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Re: The little glue loggic is a problem for Jitter, ..

Quote:
Originally posted by Calimero

Henk
There is one option open to the CS8412 that may not be open to other receivers and is not open to setups that include a digital OS filter. In one of its modes the CS8412 will output LSB first data. This would allow the use of a bit-serial adder and only one bit reversal. Serial adders use less logic than parallel adders.
Old 29th June 2004, 06:35 PM   #18
Banned

Default Re: Re: The little glue loggic is a problem for Jitter, ..

rfbrw, a serial adder won’t work for digital audio. With 16-bit samples, the largest negative value is –32768. The twos-complement, +32768, cannot be represented in 16 bits. In fact, the twos-complement of –32768, as represented in 16 bits, is –32768. To correct this anomaly, every sample that equals –32768 after the addition must be changed to +32767.
Old 29th June 2004, 11:02 PM   #19
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jbokelman

It’s not that simple: there is no such thing as a DC offset in the digital domain. In the analog domain, adding a DC offset is more of less innocuous because every point in the waveform, including zero, is shifted by the offset amount. In the digital domain, adding a bit to each sample will expand one half of the waveform and compress the other. The fact that the offset waveform is symmetrical about one instead of zero means nothing to the DAC: It still considers digital zero to be silence and the natural point of symmetry. To make ones-complement data stream inversion work correctly, you would have to bias the DAC so that an input of –1 resulted in 0 output.

Consider the simplified case of a 4-bit DAC. It has 16 permissible values ranging from –8 to +7, including zero. The left-hand column shows those values as a signed integer. The second column shows the binary representation of those values. The third column shows the ones-complement of these values. The fourth column shows the signed integer representation of the one-complemented values.

-8 1000 0111 +7
-7 1001 0110 +6
-6 1010 0101 +5
-5 1011 0100 +4
-4 1100 0011 +3
-3 1101 0010 +2
-2 1110 0001 +1
-1 1111 0000 +0
+0 0000 1111 -1
+1 0001 1110 -2
+2 0010 1101 -3
+3 0011 1100 -4
+4 0100 1011 -5
+5 0101 1010 -6
+6 0110 1001 -7
+7 0111 1000 -8

Suppose two successive samples have the values +2 and +4. That means the amplitude of the signal sampled doubled between one sample and the next. If we inverted the data stream, using the table above, the successive samples would have the values –3 and –5. The difference is less then double. The reconstructed waveform would be compressed and have a slower rise time than it should.

On the other hand, suppose two successive samples have the values –2 and –4. Again, doubling in amplitude each sample period. The inverted samples would have the values +1 and +3. The difference is more than double. The reconstructed waveform would be expanded and have a faster rise time than it should.

No matter how you slice it, the error amounts to 6dB.

It should come as no surprise to anyone here that the price of a DAC or its presumed "pro" status has no bearing on its quality or whether the designers got everything "right."
i dont see your "less then" / "more than double":

pos neg
DAC DAC
-4 +3
-2 +1
0 -1
2 -3
4 -5

I see steps of 2 on left and right dac. Dont use the value 0 as reference at the inverted dac, -1 is your referencepoint!

There is just an offset of -1 on the inverted dac. You dont loose resolution. If your analogue stage can cope with that, your fine.

E.g. i am using two resistors for i/v conversion to gnd and then a transformer connected at the outputs of the DAC, so not to gnd.
So there is a little DC over the transformers, but just very little.
And after the transformer, no more offset.

I agree it wont work on the neg edge, but how many times you think that happens?

And yes, i got a balanced dac and to keep all happy, it uses 74xx and (acient ) prog. logic. Works fine btw

Those who are interested, elektor published a CPLD trialsystem, should be perfect for this task (including last bit fix and taking care of the max value). Dont forget to reclock after it, to get rid of all the jitter

Greetings,
Old 29th June 2004, 11:51 PM   #20
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

jbokelman, add a DC offset to an AC signal

then, measure the distortion of this signal, after a (perfect) coupling cap
the distortion is zero

that's the same here

your math is wrong, you are reasoning in a/b instead of a-b

Hide this!Advertise here!