Marantz CD67mkII OSE "Radial error", doesn't read any disks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a faulty CD67mkii OSE, and I'm trying to fix it. When in service mode, it gives "Err 10" (which is a radial error) and sometimes "Err 7". In effect it doesn't read any disks.

I've replaced the CDM12.1 laser mechanism with a VAM1202, but unfortunately that doesn't help.

I've seen some discussions on the Marantz CD6000, and others, and I have the cd43/53/63 manual, but unfortunately there is a difference in the circuit board attached to the laser mechanism (p126). My board is WG186W102-2 which has a TDA1302T chip, and some capacators and resistors.

Does anyone have the service manual for this CD player?
Does anyone know what could be wrong/where the Radial signal runs?

I hope someone can help me!

Kind regards,

Berend

Hi Berend,

I also have a CD67 and happen to have the manual also.
Interested in a scanned copy of some pages???

Raymond.

Sarion said:
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a faulty CD67mkii OSE, and I'm trying to fix it. When in service mode, it gives "Err 10" (which is a radial error) and sometimes "Err 7". In effect it doesn't read any disks.

I've replaced the CDM12.1 laser mechanism with a VAM1202, but unfortunately that doesn't help.

I've seen some discussions on the Marantz CD6000, and others, and I have the cd43/53/63 manual, but unfortunately there is a difference in the circuit board attached to the laser mechanism (p126). My board is WG186W102-2 which has a TDA1302T chip, and some capacators and resistors.

Does anyone have the service manual for this CD player?
Does anyone know what could be wrong/where the Radial signal runs?

I hope someone can help me!

Kind regards,

Berend

Re: Re: Marantz CD67mkII OSE "Radial error", doesn't read any disks

6h5c said:
Hi Berend,

I also have a CD67 and happen to have the manual also.
Interested in a scanned copy of some pages???

Raymond.

Absolutely! If you could send it to my personal email account, that would be excellent! Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Berend

Re: Re: Re: Marantz CD67mkII OSE "Radial error", doesn't read any disks

Sarion said:

Absolutely! If you could send it to my personal email account, that would be excellent! Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Berend

Berend,

Can you activate e-mailing through this board, or give me your address?
I will mail you the interesting parts of the manual, and maybe can
help you pin-pointing the problem since i've been a repair technician for a while.
Great player, by the way, especially if you modify it.
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/cd67.html

Greetings,
Raymond.

Well, after some tinkering in Service Mode, the following happens. When I move through the Service Modes, and turn Focus, Spindle and Radial on.... tadaaaa.... music! If I then press Play, it reads the TOC, and I can go to other tracks, and it will play.

However, if I then switch the player off, and then on again, if just says DISC, and if I just press Play in Service Mode, it also doesn't read the disc, and gives a Err 10 (Radial Error).

If anyone has any clue what's happening here, please let me know!

Best regards,

Berend

Yes, it does start spinning. Then I can hear maybe a servo (not sure) which makes 4 sounds (whee whee whee whee), and I think it does this 3 times before it gives up. Then it spins down. In Service Mode it would now say Err 10. In normal operation it just says DISC.

Sarion said:
Yes, it does start spinning. Then I can hear maybe a servo (not sure) which makes 4 sounds (whee whee whee whee), and I think it does this 3 times before it gives up. Then it spins down. In Service Mode it would now say Err 10. In normal operation it just says DISC.

Hey Berend,

It seems the focus part works fine then, because I think otherwise the
disk wouldn't start spinning. Does the sled also move, or does the
laserunit stay in place when it's trying to read the disc (the Whee
Whee sound)?

Greetings,
Ray.

What the heck?

Just when things are not looking good...

I decided (before I sent the last mail, I think) I wanted to see how the player was constucted, and I took it apart. Well, the back panel was attached to the main circuit board, and I thought is was too much effort, so I put it back together.

Then it played in Service Mode, but not in normal mode. After trying some more CDs, it started accepting some in normal mode, and playing them without any problems. And now it plays all CDs in normal mode, no problems whatsoever! :dodgy:

I really don't know what I did to make it work, or if it will last. But it seems to be working fine now! :xeye:

I'll report back here in a few days and let you know if it did last, but for now: thank you very much to Ray for helping me!

Regards,

Berend

Well...

Well...at least it is playing now! :note:

Thank you for your thanks, no problem at all.

It's strange indeed. Maybe a loose connection???
Are you going to put the old laserunit back to see if it still works?
I always want to know what the problem behind these sort of things is...
I guess I don't like it when things start to do things by themselves suddenly.
I hope it lasts, just don't touch it anymore would be the more sensible thing to do :xfingers:

Greetings,
Ray.

Well, it could have been one of the contacts. I think the Radial signal goes through the last lines of flatcable, so it would be one first to go there...

And I have to take the player with on the airplane a couple of days from now, so hopefully that'll not make it stop working again!

I've though about putting back the old laser too, but as you said, it's working now! Maybe best not to mess with it!

Hi Sarion,

The connectors for the flat ribbon cable become loose after 10 or so unplugings... the clips do not hold any more and I had a number of problems with these clips (connectors). Cheep and very bad in regards to contact resistance.

The important mod is to remove these conectors and ribbon cable, use solid silver, or solid core copper wire, and solder both ends - one on to RF amplifier board, and the other end on to main PCB. This mod should be performed LAST!!! , after you've done all other modifications. The improvement is phenomenal!!!

Be careful with solid core wiries - they could cause tracks demage while you are putting transport and main PCB back together, and inside of the CD player. Solid cores are much better than litz. Silver ribbons are the best, but are dificult to implement at this point / place.

If you are not experienced, use litz wire - this will prevent any track damage.

Regards,
Nick

commenting on this old thread, I find that the CD12 mechanism has a warm up problem. Marantz 6000 OSE won't detect a disc for a couple of hours and then sees it with an error reading the TOC. Then it works OK until next switch off. My previous CD63SE had the same problem.

This is a hot country with an ambient around 30C all the time.

6h5c said:
Does the sled also move, or does the
laserunit stay in place when it's trying to read the disc (the Whee
Whee sound)?Ray.

Hi Ray, me again. Before I launch off into my CD67SE mods and as mentioned in my other post (other thread) I better get the Tray Mechanism working!

I get ERR 2 on the test and it just says "disc" when I put in a CD. The sled does not come out when I run the P0=>P1 test. It comes out fine when I press the tray open/close key, but if I put a CD in it doesn't play and I can't hear any spinning.

I'm about to order a VAM1201 or 1202 AND I wanted to order a controller chip which I think I see from your service manual is the TDA1302T. I originally mentioned the driver IC's TCA0372DP2 bu I think this is for a 63E. Post #977 of the CD63 and CD67 mods list also mentions this failure, but for a CD63SE. The 67SE appears to have 3 x Servo Driver TDA7073A.

As my wife can get generally get these parts at no or minimal cost, is it worth to order both these chips too?

Thanks
k.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.