DIY DSP Engine - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2004, 03:01 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

By co-incidence, I was just trading emails with another aquaintance, and he referred to this - the Blackfin Ez-Kit:

http://www.analog.com/Analog_Root/pr...WARE%2C00.html

At $400 including a minimal but functional dev environment, it looks pretty nice, and within reach. The blackfin has a bucketload of cpu, and while I haven't looked at the I/O capabilities in detail, they should be adequate - looks like either 4 or 8 I2S output pairs depending on whether 1 or 2 ports are exposed, and probably 4 pairs on input. If the expansion connector topology is good, this might make a nice platform to target for modular I2S based I/O boards.....
Old 18th May 2004, 04:03 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tiroth

The purpose of the dev boards is to allow developers to work on the code from a known good platform, without having to design and build hardware. While there are some reference platforms, most of these devices are never intended to be in an end-product. You write your code on the $2500 module and then build 10,000 boards with $25 chips on them.

If you are paying your engineers $50+/hour (all costs considered) the dev board pays for itself if you save a week's time. In all likelihood, that week is worth far more than just their time because it is a week shaved off of your production cycle.

The reference platforms are generally cheaper, but usually they are only interested in selling OEM quantities.
Check out the MDS site again: the DAE-5 and DAE-7 *are* intended as OEM products, not as templates or dev boards.

The TI board makes a lot of sense for DIY use since they sell it for essentially cost as a seeding effort to get their DSPs into the design space, as you mention above.

Shaving a week off the production cycle is illusory since hardware design can proceed in parallel with software development on a dev system.

Cheers,
Francois.
Old 19th May 2004, 03:39 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default DSP Platform

Regarding AD kits EZ-Lite, ADSP 21065 would be OK (it is used in DCX 2496 Behringer and 21065 is not BGA),but I`m not sure about price of VisualDSP++,I have demo version and it looks very fine and even better in simulation options than TI`s Studio.But 6711 is more powerfull than 21065. Today I checked TI`s board extenssion capabilities and they are very good.4 A/D converters could be connected without much interface logic.

My idea is to do filter codes (not a problem for me,even do a "tube effect" filter : ) and codes for front panel display,and after that do small series complete product (all on TI proc and AD D/A).

And my board is 6711 not 6713,sorry for mistake...
Old 30th June 2004, 06:41 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default Try this....

You can start off by using TAS3002 from TI.

bimbla.
Old 1st July 2004, 07:55 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

The TAS30xx can only do pretty basic stuff. The TAS3013 is 540 mips and can do EQ on 3 channels and is programmed via I2C on startup. I'm using it as a starting project. 2 channel digital biamp setup (TDAA) with a subwoofer channel. It's either gonna end in tears or a huge smile

Are there any ways to DIY a Jtag adapter so we can brew our own boards?
TI have a few non BGA DSP's that I wouldn't mind experimenting with for use with a high speed ADC in computing FFT plots.

Regards
Matt
Old 2nd July 2004, 06:18 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

I noticed you guys are talking about the TI 6713. A similar part from Analog Devices is the ADSP-21262. The 21262 is a very good DSP for audio applications.

We manufacture boards using this part or you can buy an ADI EZ-Kit. You might check out our web site for details.

One of the advantages of the ADSP-21262 from a DIY point of view is that it is available in QFP.

Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.
Old 9th July 2004, 11:58 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

I went and ordered a TMS320VC5416 for use with TI's 125msps ADC to do FFT's and oscilloscope functions.
What I want to do is create a homemade eval board that includes a ADC, FIFO and clock. The other GPIO's and serial ports would be connected to header so that daughters boards could be made and tested using the same board and alow interfacing to an LCD, DAC's etc.
The only problem is I'm having trouble understanding the memory architecture because I'm coming from a microcontroller background. The TMS320VC5416 comes with a bootloader than can boot from either an EEPROM, the HPI or the serial port. The best option I can see would be to use the EEPROM because it would allows for standalone operation but is there the possibility of using a computer serial port to emulate the serial EEPROM for testing programs?
Or would a on board connector for programming the eeprom be a better option? I could even go as far to surgest a microcontroller to supervise the uploading of programs to the eeprom and controlling boot mode via the required pins.
The internal memery maps are also quite confusing.
I'm guessing that the RAM is used to store the program after retrieving it from the source.... but which one?
There's both DARAM and SARAM on top of the external memory.
Say if you had 512k of external memory, can this be used as both data and program memory?

Many Thanks
Matt
Old 14th July 2004, 08:20 PM   #28
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

danville,

I had seen your company's products before and was intrigued. At $250, the DSP-8300 dev kit is definitely one of the cheaper solutions available. Does it read and write I2S serial audio in the code examples? What examples are available?

More info with an eye to us audio hackers would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 14th July 2004, 09:22 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fr0st
I went and ordered a TMS320VC5416 for use with TI's 125msps ADC to do FFT's and oscilloscope functions.
What I want to do is create a homemade eval board that includes a ADC, FIFO and clock. The other GPIO's and serial ports would be connected to header so that daughters boards could be made and tested using the same board and alow interfacing to an LCD, DAC's etc.
The only problem is I'm having trouble understanding the memory architecture because I'm coming from a microcontroller background. The TMS320VC5416 comes with a bootloader than can boot from either an EEPROM, the HPI or the serial port. The best option I can see would be to use the EEPROM ...
Matt

Matt, it's been a while since I've done stuff like this, but I recall there being prom emulators to be had for not too much cash. Perhaps your idea of loading via a serial port could work, but I just don't know enough to say.

But, do I understand you correctly that you are building the hardware yourself? Please talk to me about this. How does one design and build a DIY PC board these days? I haven't been involved in such a thing since the days of wirewrapping (think 15+ years ago). I assume that different approaches are used with the clock speeds and surface mount technologies used these days.

Thanks, and I wish I could answer your questions.

Paul
Old 14th July 2004, 09:55 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tiroth
danville,

I had seen your company's products before and was intrigued. At $250, the DSP-8300 dev kit is definitely one of the cheaper solutions available. Does it read and write I2S serial audio in the code examples? What examples are available?

More info with an eye to us audio hackers would be appreciated. Thanks.
The DSP-8300 is a complete audio DSP module that includes an AC-97 codec. It does not have external SPORT connections. It is great for simple audio projects, but not tremenduously high performance.

Our dspstak products are SHARC based and all have support for I2S. A "dspstak" is generally comprised as two boards, a DSP Engine and an I/O Module. The dspstak is a great platform for DIY'ers since you can buy DSP Engines and then create your own I/O Modules. You can create very high performance digital audio platforms with the dspstak as the core.

You can download the user manuals from our web site to better evaluate these products.

Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.

Hide this!Advertise here!