DIY DSP Engine - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2004, 07:40 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

IMHO DAE-7
will be better for DIY audio
Old 16th May 2004, 08:00 PM   #12
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

How much?
Old 16th May 2004, 10:11 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I ve got TMDSDSK6713 board and TI DSK , and few D/A chips.
In near future i plan to do Dig XO with it. I never turned up the board (didnt have time). But i have DSP knowledge and programming experience C,asm,Matlab. It would be a good idea to get together about TI platform Dig XO.
Have to check I/O possibilites of the board and i have problem with extension connectors on it ,i`ll have to buy female ones for extension board.

http://cizzy.freeservers.com/software.html
http://cizzy.freeservers.com/Hi-Fi.html
Old 16th May 2004, 11:52 PM   #14
netgeek is offline netgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm very interested in the Analog Devices AD1954 for use as a crossover (with some minimal EQ thrown in as well). Have you looked at or considered that device?
Old 17th May 2004, 03:53 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by netgeek
I'm very interested in the Analog Devices AD1954 for use as a crossover (with some minimal EQ thrown in as well). Have you looked at or considered that device?
It looks as if it only does IIR filters, so you're talking the same sort of filters you can get from analog active crossovers. Granted, the chip also has cute stuff like lookahead limiters and parametric EQ, but it's not my cuppa tea as I'd prefer trying FIRs (finite impulse response) filters for digital crossovers, not to mention playing with inverse filtering to flatten out driver response.

Francois.
Old 17th May 2004, 11:11 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ditter
IMHO DAE-7
will be better for DIY audio

Quote:
Originally posted by tiroth
How much?

I emailed MDS and was told that the projected price for the DAE-7 would be about the same cost as the DAE-5 - around $2500. More than I'd like to spend. They also said that they would not be able to provide support since I was buying it for educational purposes (they are looking for OEM purchases, I guess).

Paul
Old 17th May 2004, 01:41 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
price for the DAE-7 would be about the same cost as the DAE-5 - around $2500

well, board DAE-7 + software =2500 ? will they supply Gerber/shematic/ to DAE-7 board development kit ?
to get TMS320C6713-PYP208 also from TI samples programm is not difficult . To create shematic & PCB is not difficult too, but we can`t receive Dolby algorithmes. The difficulties are in acknowlegement of these algorithmes.
Old 17th May 2004, 07:36 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Ebert

I emailed MDS and was told that the projected price for the DAE-7 would be about the same cost as the DAE-5 - around $2500. More than I'd like to spend. They also said that they would not be able to provide support since I was buying it for educational purposes (they are looking for OEM purchases, I guess).

Paul
They're nuts. If they want $2500 for a board with $150 of parts, it'd make more sense for an OEM to design it and build it at any more than 100 lots, even with the annoyance of sending it out to a service bureau to solder the BGA. It shows they also don't understand the economics of OEM building, since OEMs need to price retail at 4xparts if they don't want to go broke. That means the $2500 MDS board turns into $10000 of retail price for whatever it's designed into.

The MDS website indicates the DAE-7 is aimed at, among other things, digital loudspeakers. You can buy an awful lot of driver goodness for $2500.

Francois.
Old 18th May 2004, 02:05 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

This thread pretty much highlights why I gave up on DSP hardware for my experiments/projects and just ended up using a PC - the market is just not really conducive to one-offs. By the time you get a good DSP board and dev tools etc it's pretty expensive, and AFAIK *none* of them have decent audio sections, so you still have to build your own outputs. If your main interest is in the programming, it's just too much hassle.

Unfortunately, the PC approach doesn't really lend itself too well to production/semi-production use, so a modular DSP hardware project is still interesting. I'm not aware of any ideal candidates, but I haven't searched thoroughly - the Momentum stuff looks great, but they're obviously targetted at larger industrial customers. The Sharc boards from www.danvillesignal.com look pretty good and seem to run about $400, but info on their site is pretty sketchy - in particular the expansion connectors dont' seem to be documented, and it looks like dev software would still have to be purchased on top of the board cost.

One idea that I still think is worth persuing for a 'budget' solution would be to hook up the I2S lines from the dsp board into one of the Panasonic digital receivers, which use I2S internally in their Equibit power stages. It would obviously require a mod to the receiver, but should result in a very impressive package for ~$700 .
Old 18th May 2004, 02:18 PM   #20
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSP_Geek
They're nuts. If they want $2500 for a board with $150 of parts, it'd make more sense for an OEM to design it and build it at any more than 100 lots, even with the annoyance of sending it out to a service bureau to solder the BGA.
The purpose of the dev boards is to allow developers to work on the code from a known good platform, without having to design and build hardware. While there are some reference platforms, most of these devices are never intended to be in an end-product. You write your code on the $2500 module and then build 10,000 boards with $25 chips on them.

If you are paying your engineers $50+/hour (all costs considered) the dev board pays for itself if you save a week's time. In all likelihood, that week is worth far more than just their time because it is a week shaved off of your production cycle.

The reference platforms are generally cheaper, but usually they are only interested in selling OEM quantities.

Hide this!Advertise here!